Coalition against Typhoid
The Coalition against Typhoid (CaT) is a global forum of health and immunization experts working to save lives and reduce suffering by accelerating the delivery of typhoid vaccines to populations that need them most.
Typhoid control requires a comprehensive strategy that combines immediate measures such as appropriate treatment and vaccination of high-burden and high-risk populations with sustainable long-term solutions like access to safe water, basic sanitation and promotion of good hygiene practices, including hand washing. The primary goal of CaT is to define the barriers to adoption of typhoid vaccines in the communities where they are needed most, and discover key activities needed to overcome them.
- Aga Khan University
- Agence de Médecine Préventive
- Bharat Biotech
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Center for Vaccine Development at the University of Maryland
- Finlay Institute
- Foundation Mérieux
- GAVI Alliance
- Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp
- International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh
- International Vaccine Institute
- National Institutes of Health
- Novartis Vaccines Institute for Global Health
- Oxford University Clinical Research Unit at the Hospital for Tropical Diseases Vietnam
- Oxford Vaccine Group at the University of Oxford
- Program for Appropriate Technology in Health (PATH)
- Sabin Vaccine Institute
- Sanofi Pasteur
- Shantha Biotechnics
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Wellcome Trust
- Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
- World Health Organization
News and Media
- The Coalition Against Typhoid Applauds World Health Organization Prequalification of a Typhoid Vaccine
- Sabin Vaccine Institute Launches Coalition Against Typhoid
News and Publications
- "New Evidence of Highly Endemic Typhoid in Africa" in the August 2011 Global Immunization Newsletter
- "Typhoid burden greater than previously recognized in Nepal" in the July 2011 Global Immunization Newsletter
- "WHO prequalifies typhoid vaccine" in the June 2011 Global Immunization Newsletter
- Nelson, Christopher B.; De Quadros, Ciro (2011). "Coalition against Typhoid (CaT): A new, global initiative to advance typhoid vaccination". Vaccine 29 (38): 6443. doi:10.1016/j.vaccine.2011.06.006. PMID 21699945.
- "Coalition against Typhoid to support the implementation of typhoid vaccines" and "VIVA Initiative targets typhoid fever in Pakistan and Nepal" in the May 2011 Global Immunization Newsletter
- Kariuki, Samuel (2008). "Typhoid fever in sub-Saharan Africa: challenges of diagnosis and management of infections". Journal of Infection in Developing Countries 2 (6): 443–7. PMID 19745521.
- Whitaker, Jennifer A.; Franco-Paredes, Carlos; Del Rio, Carlos; Edupuganti, Srilatha (2009). "Rethinking Typhoid Fever Vaccines: Implications for Travelers and People Living in Highly Endemic Areas". Journal of Travel Medicine 16 (1): 46–52. doi:10.1111/j.1708-8305.2008.00273.x. PMID 19192128.