Coat of arms of Newfoundland and Labrador
|The Arms of Newfoundland and Labrador|
For use by the Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador
|Armiger||Elizabeth II in Right of Newfoundland & Labrador|
|Adopted||1637, fell into disuse, readopted 1928|
|Crest||Upon a wreath Or & Gules an elk passant proper|
|Escutcheon||Gules a cross argent, in the first quarter a lion passant gardant crowned Or in the second quarter a Unicorn passant argent armed maned and unguled Or gorged with a crown a chain affixed thereto passing between his forelegs and reflexed over his back Or in the third quarter as in the second in the fourth quarter as in the first|
|Supporters||Two Beothuks garbed for war proper|
|Motto||QUAERITE PRIME REGNUM DEI
"Seek ye first the kingdom of God."
A quote from The Gospel According to St. Matthew 6:33
In 1893, D.W. Prowse published A History of Newfoundland, in which he printed a copy of the Newfoundland arms. Prowse erroneously attributed the armorial bearings to John Guy. The Newfoundland Post Office perpetuated his error by issuing a 1910 two-cent stamp depicting the arms and indicating they were issued to the London and Bristol Company, which financed Guy's colonization attempt.
- Newfoundland's caribou herds are represented by the elk in the crest, as European heralds[clarification needed].
- Two silver unicorns and two gold lions occupy opposing quadrants of the shield. This part of the Coat of Arms recalls the royal beasts that support the arms of the Monarch, the crowned lion represents England and the crowned unicorn stands for Scotland.
- A mossy knoll.
- The two Beothuk supporters refer to the indigenous population of Newfoundland.
- Quaerite prime Regnum Dei, quoting Matthew 6:33 from the Bible, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God".
- Symbols of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Flag of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Canadian heraldry
- National symbols of Canada
- List of Canadian provincial and territorial symbols
- "RSNL1990 CHAPTER C-20 – COAT OF ARMS ACT". Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer. 2006. Retrieved 6 September 2008.
- "Heraldry and Flags: Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage". Memorial University of Newfoundland. Retrieved 6 September 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Coat of arms of Newfoundland and Labrador.|
|This Canadian heraldry-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|