Location within Pratt County (top) and Kansas (bottom)
|• Total||0.21 sq mi (0.54 km2)|
|• Land||0.21 sq mi (0.54 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,975 ft (602 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||84|
|• Density||400/sq mi (150/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|FIPS code||20-14525 |
|GNIS feature ID||0474268 |
The first post office in Coats was established in June 1887.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Coats has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 83 people, 31 households, and 21 families residing in the city. The population density was 395.2 inhabitants per square mile (152.6/km2). There were 61 housing units at an average density of 290.5 per square mile (112.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 95.2% White, 1.2% from other races, and 3.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.4% of the population.
There were 31 households of which 32.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.8% were married couples living together, 9.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 32.3% were non-families. 25.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 25.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 3.24.
The median age in the city was 37.8 years. 25.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 4.7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.8% were from 25 to 44; 32.4% were from 45 to 64; and 14.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.2% male and 51.8% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 112 people, 51 households, and 32 families residing in the city. The population density was 547.0 people per square mile (216.2/km²). There were 69 housing units at an average density of 337.0 per square mile (133.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 95.54% White, 0.89% Native American, 0.89% from other races, and 2.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.46% of the population.
There were 51 households out of which 25.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.8% were married couples living together, 3.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.3% were non-families. 35.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 25.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.20 and the average family size was 2.85.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.0% under the age of 18, 5.4% from 18 to 24, 21.4% from 25 to 44, 19.6% from 45 to 64, and 28.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 96.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $23,750, and the median income for a family was $29,583. Males had a median income of $26,250 versus $17,188 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,985. There were 20.0% of families and 20.9% of the population living below the poverty line, including 23.5% of under eighteens and 18.4% of those over 64.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved September 18, 2011.
- Kansas State Historical Society (1916). Biennial Report of the Board of Directors of the Kansas State Historical Society. Kansas State Printing Plant. p. 265.
- "Profile for Coats, Kansas". ePodunk. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- Blackmar, Frank Wilson (1912). Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc. Standard Publishing Company. p. 381.
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961". Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Coats, Kansas
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Coats, Kansas.|
- USD 438, local school district
- Coats City Map, KDOT