Cobb Island (Maryland)
|Cobb Island, Maryland|
Location of Cobb Island, Charles County, Maryland
|• Total||0.9 sq mi (2.4 km2)|
|• Land||0.6 sq mi (1.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||10 ft (3 m)|
|• Density||1,300/sq mi (490/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1988529|
Cobb Island is a small community census-designated place located on a small island at the junction of the Potomac River and the Wicomico River. It is located approximately 45 miles (72 km) south of Washington, D.C., in Charles County, Maryland, and is considered part of the Washington, D.C. MSA. Cobb Island is separated from the mainland by Neale Sound and connected by a 0.11-mile-long (180 m) fixed bridge. As of the 2010 census, the community had a population of 1,166.
Cobb Island has a small post office, a volunteer fire department and rescue squad, a Baptist church, a large community green space (Fisherman's Field) and a small playground where kids hangout. Commercially, there are two seafood restaurants with marinas (Captain John's Crab House, and Shymansky's Restaurant & Marina), The Rivah a marina with a pizzeria restaurant chain (Ledo Pizza) a small bar and grill (The Scuttlebutt), a seasonal coffee shop, bakery, art gallery (Cobb Island Gallery), and a small market (Cobb Island Market) Maryland Route 254 serves as the only route into and out of Cobb Island.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Cobb Island (Maryland)
- "Highway Location Reference: Charles County" (PDF). Maryland State Highway Administration. 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Cobb Island CDP, Maryland". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 3, 2012.
- "Cobb Island Volunteer Fire Department & EMS - Charles County, Company 6". Retrieved 3 October 2011.
- Belrose, John S. (September 1994). "Fessenden and the Early History of Radio Science". The Radioscientist 5 (3). Retrieved 3 October 2011.
- Cobb Island Official FACEBOOK page
- Cobb Island Citizens Association home page
- Census information about Cobb Island, MD 20625
- Gaines, Patrice (August 20, 1994). "Cobb Island: The Water Offers An Everyday Escape". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2008-10-17.