|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
The Cobra Troopers are the basic Cobra foot soldiers who serve as the backbone of the Cobra Organization. They are generally depicted as legions of uniformed soldiers, nearly all of them masked to appear anonymous, and widely diversified according to specialties and functions.
The Cobra Troopers were introduced in 1982, with the code name "The Enemy". These are the original "blueshirt" infantry soldiers equipped with conventional military gear (as opposed to the more hi-tech accouterments of the later Vipers). They were prominently featured on both the cartoon and comic series, and depicted as unintelligent and slightly cowardly.
Later, Cobra troopers consisted of communications troops, computer specialists, security, and soldiers. Some of the more prominent include:
The Cobra Eels are the underwater demolition specialists of the Cobra legions. They undergo a rigorous two-part training program, first in the shark and pirate infested waters of the Caribbean, and then in the frigid depths of the North Atlantic. Their training regimen includes marine engineering, explosive ordnance, underwater fighting techniques, and marine geology. Eels are responsible for manning and operating Cobra marine outposts disguised as off-shore drilling rigs, and for augmenting the crews of large Cobra naval vessels.
The Cobra Lampreys are Cobra's amphibious assault troopers, responsible for operation of Cobra naval vehicles, patrol around naval bases and attack. They are culled from the Eel units, and are considered elite among Cobra naval troopers, with only the Cobra Morays considered higher. To qualify for Lamprey training, candidates must be a Cobra Trooper in top physical condition, to have completed his Eel training, and have been operational as an Eel for more than a year. The training is highly selective, and more than 50% of the applicants quit before completing the course.
The Morays are the next step in marine warfare, evolving from the most elite of the Eel division. They must undergo the same rigorous training program, which involves underwater fighting techniques, the study of marine geology, and the use of explosive ordnance. However, the Morays also utilize the same bio-tech engineering that is used by the Neo-Vipers, which gives them increased strength, underwater vision, and bodies that can better withstand the pressures of deep sea diving.
Snow Serpents are the Arctic Specialist branch of Cobra. They must undergo the same rigorous training program as the Eels, with the addition of a six month cold weather course, somewhere above the Arctic Circle. Other aspects of their training include airborne operations under arctic conditions, anti-tank procedures, and the use of snow-shoes, skis and kayaks.
Introduced in 1986 as a replacement for the Cobra Soldiers, the Cobra Viper infantry soldiers complement the Cobra Soldiers in both the cartoon and comic series. The concept, originally introduced in 1985 with the introduction of "Tele-Vipers" (communication experts) quickly evolved into a catch-all suffix for all future Cobra troops (such as Air-Viper, Ice-Vipers, Desert-Vipers, Techno-Vipers, etc.). Hasbro has often alternated between establishing the Vipers as the entry level position into Cobra's legion, or for them to be the elite of Cobra's ground troops, as far as them being equal to or above the regular blue shirt troops.
List of Cobra troopers
- Air Devil - Acrobatic Aerial Assault Trooper
- B.A.T.s - Cobra Battle Android Troopers
- Cobra Blackstar - Cobra Elite Space Pilot
- Cobra C.L.A.W.S. - Combat Light Armored Weapons Specialist; Heavy Weapons Trooper
- Cobra Coils - High Speed Pursuit Vehicle Drivers; Cobra Tread Fire Driver
- Cobra Eels - Cobra Frogman
- Cobra H.I.S.S. Driver - Cobra H.I.S.S. Driver
- Cobra Moray - Underwater Elite Trooper
- Cobra Officer - Cobra Squad Leader
- Cobra Stinger Driver - Cobra Stinger Driver
- Cobra Soldier - Cobra Basic Infantry
- Desert Scorpion - Cobra Desert Trooper
- Incinerators - Cobra Flamethrowers
- Lampreys - Cobra Moray Hydrofoil Pilot
- Night Creepers - Cobra Mercenary Ninjas
- Night Vulture - Cobra Air Recon Trooper
- Sea Slugs - Cobra Sea Ray Pilot
- Snow Serpent - Cobra Polar Assault
- W.O.R.M.S. - Weapons Ordnance Rugged Machine Specialists; Cobra Maggot Driver
The Cobra Troopers were the foot soldiers of Cobra in the Sunbow/Marvel G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero cartoon.
The Cobra Troopers were also the foot soldiers in the DiC G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero cartoon. Some of the Cobra Troopers loyal to Cobra Commander became soldiers in Cobra Commander's Python Patrol.
G.I. Joe: Sigma 6
The Cobra Soldiers appear in G.I. Joe: Sigma 6.
G.I. Joe: Resolute
The Cobra Soldiers appear in G.I. Joe: Resolute.
The Cobra Troopers in G.I. Joe: Renegades were depicted as the security guards for the facilities of Cobra Industries, such as Cobra Pharmaceuticals.
- Santelmo, Vincent (1994). The Official 30th Anniversary Salute To G.I. Joe 1964-1994. Krause Publications. p. 91. ISBN 0-87341-301-6.
- Hama, Larry (1987). Howard Mackie, ed. G.I. Joe Order Of Battle. Marvel Entertainment Group. p. 46. ISBN 0-87135-288-5.
- Wherle, Scott (2002). G.I. Joe: Battle Files #2. Devil's Due Publishing. p. 19.
- Hama, Larry (1987). Howard Mackie, ed. G.I. Joe Order Of Battle. Marvel Entertainment Group. p. 98. ISBN 0-87135-288-5.