|No. 21 – MHP Riesen Ludwigsburg|
June 8, 1983 |
Great Falls, Montana
|Listed height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Listed weight||215 lb (98 kg)|
|High school||Homestead (Mequon, Wisconsin)|
|College||Boise State (2003–2007)|
|NBA draft||2007 / Undrafted|
|2007–2008||Los Angeles Lakers|
|2007–2008||→Los Angeles D-Fenders (D-League)|
|2008–2009||Idaho Stampede (D-League)|
|2009||DKV Joventut (Spain)|
|2010||Idaho Stampede (D-League)|
|2010||Golden State Warriors|
|2010||Idaho Stampede (D-League)|
|2011||Armani Jeans Milano (Italy)|
|2011–2012||Fabi Shoes Montegranaro (Italy)|
|2012–2013||Idaho Stampede (D-League)|
|2013||Pallacanestro Reggiana (Italy)|
|2013–present||MHP Riesen Ludwigsburg (Germany)|
Coby Joseph Karl (born June 8, 1983) is an American professional basketball shooting guard, currently playing for MHP Riesen Ludwigsburg. He is the son of George Karl, former head coach of the Denver Nuggets and other NBA teams.
High school career
Karl attended Homestead High School in Mequon, Wisconsin and lettered in basketball. He was an All-Suburban selection, a first team All-Conference selection, and an All-State Honorable Mention selection as a senior. Karl graduated in 2002.
Karl played basketball at Boise State while majoring in communications. In his junior season of college, Karl led his team in both points per game and assists per game at 17.2 and 4.0 respectively. He was also named to the 2005-06 All-WAC Second Team. In his senior year, Karl averaged 14.8 points, 4.1 rebounds, and 4.0 assists per game.
Karl had weighed whether to return to college for his senior year or to enter the 2006 NBA Draft, attending a few pre-draft workouts for various professional teams. However, he decided to return to college and said that he was never seriously considering entering the draft.
Karl was not drafted by an NBA team, but made the Lakers' 15-man roster as a free agent. Karl made his NBA debut on October 30, 2007, with the Lakers vs. the Houston Rockets, playing 37 seconds and registering no statistics. He was assigned to the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the NBA Development League.
In April 2008, the Los Angeles Lakers played the Denver Nuggets in the first round of the 2008 NBA Playoffs, Karl and his father became the first father and son to ever oppose each other in the NBA playoffs. Karl was a reserve for the Lakers, and his father was the head coach for the Nuggets. Coby Karl was released by the Los Angeles Lakers on October 27, 2008.
In September 2009, Karl reached an agreement to attend training camp with the Cleveland Cavaliers, where he competed for a regular-season roster spot. On October 22, 2009 the Cavaliers made three final cuts, ensuring Karl a spot on their opening day roster. The Cavaliers waived Karl on January 6, 2010, sending him to free agency.
Karl also underwent radio-active iodine treatment, a painless and simple out-patient treatment, for papillary carcinoma (a thyroid cancer considered by doctors to be one of the most treatable forms of cancer). After his senior year, Karl again had another surgery to remove cancerous cells. His father left the Nuggets to be with his son during the seven-hour surgery and returned to the team after the completion of the surgery.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Rockets at Lakers boxscore at NBA.com
- Lakers assign Coby Karl to D-Fenders for final time this season
- Lakers recall Coby Karl from D-Fenders
- Turner, Broderick; Bresnahan, Mike (October 28, 2008). "Jackson's lineup for opener? It's a secret". Los Angeles Times.
- Joventut replaces Bracey Wright with Coby Karl (Spanish)
- Carl joins Joventut
- The Cavs waive Coby Karl. Retrieved on January 6, 2010.
- . Retrieved January 30, 2010.
- Coby Karl Returns To Idaho Stampede
- Nuggets sign coach Karl's son Coby
- Nuggets waive Coby Karl
- Coby Karl lands by CB Granada (Spanish)
- L'Olimpia ingaggia Coby Karl (Italian)
- "Fabi Shoes Montegranaro signs Coby Karl". sportando.net. September 25, 2011. Retrieved January 24, 2011.
- TEN ADDED TO STAMPEDE ROSTER
- Grissin Bon Reggio Emilia announced Coby Karl
- "Karl left Trenkwalder RE". Eurobasket.com. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "MHP Ludwigsburg announced Coby Karl". Sportando.net. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- Karl says son is doing well after cancer surgery