Cochrane Lake, Alberta
Cochrane Lake is a hamlet in southern Alberta under the jurisdiction of Rocky View County. Statistics Canada also recognizes it as a designated place under the name of Cochrane Lake Subdivision.
Cochrane Lake is located approximately 45 km (23 mi) northwest of the City of Calgary and 1.6 km (1.0 mi) north of the Town of Cochrane on the west side of Highway 22. Cochrane Lake gets it name from Senator Matthew Henry Cochrane who in 1881 founded the Cochrane Ranche (later known as the British-American Ranche) which was a major producer of beef.
Cochrane Lake is also currently the site of a sizeable luxury housing development, managed by property developer Monterra.
Rocky View County's 2013 municipal census counted a population of 792 in Cochrane Lake, a 226% change from its 2006 municipal census population of 243.
As a designated place in the 2011 Census, Cochrane Lake Subd. had a population of 136 living in 47 of its 49 total dwellings, a -25.3% change from its 2006 population of 182. With a land area of 0.38 km2 (0.15 sq mi), it had a population density of 358/km2 (927/sq mi) in 2011.
- Alberta Municipal Affairs (2010-04-01). "Specialized and Rural Municipalities and Their Communities". Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- Statistics Canada. "Population and dwelling counts for designated places in Alberta, 2006 and 2001 censuses". Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Monterra on Cochrane Lakes, development website". Retrieved 2008-08-10.
- "County Census Identifies Divisional Population Changes". Rocky View County. September 23, 2013. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and designated places, 2011 and 2006 censuses (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-04-06.
- Karamitsanis, Aphrodite (1992). Place Names of Alberta – Volume II, Southern Alberta, University of Calgary Press, Calgary, Alberta.
- Read, Tracey (1983). Acres and Empires – A History of the Municipal District of Rocky View, Calgary, Alberta.
- Rocky View County's official website
- Rocky View' County's community profile on Alberta First
- Calgary-Edmonton Corridor in Alberta
|This Calgary Region location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|