Cockerill Maintenance & Ingénierie
Cockerill Maintenance & Ingénierie (CMI) is a mechanical engineering group headquartered in Seraing, Belgium, producing machinery for steel plants, industrial heat recovery equipment and boiler, and shunting locomotives and military equipment (artillery guns).
In 1817 the John Cockerill company was founded in Seraing nr. Liege, Belgium by John Cockerill. As well as creating an iron works John Cockerill also instigated machine building activities, following in the footsteps of his father William Cockerill's who had made his fortune constructing machines for the textile industry in Belgium.
The company produced the primary industrial machinery of the day; steam engines, blast furnace blowers etc. . In 1835 the company produced the first Belgian steam locomotive La Belge, beginning a tradition of building locomotives for the railways of Belgium.
By 1981 the division had become part of the financially troubled Cockerill-Sambre, in 1982 Cockerill-Mechanique (with a capital of ~2billion Belgian francs) became a 100% owned subsidiary of that company as Cockerill Mechanical Industries; the company was one of the more profitable parts of the group and it was planned to sell the company as part of the dismantling of Cockerill-Sambre; the plan was not carried out. The company remained a division of Cockerill-Sambre (and its successor Usinor) until 2002 when it was sold to private investors.
In 2004 the company was renamed Cockerill Maintenance & Ingénierie.
Activities and products
The company's primary business is in metal mechanical engineering with emphasis on machinery related to or using in steelworks; maintenance, refurbishment and repair of equipment is also part of the companies business.
The industry sub-division manufactures equipment for steel coil treatment including pickling, annealing, hot dip and electro galvanising lines, rolling mills and reheating furnaces for the steel industry., as well as shunting locomotives.
- "CMI defence : History". www.cmigroupe.com.
- Yves Mény; Vincent Wright (1987). The Politics of steel: Western Europe and the steel industry in the crisis years (1974-1984). Walter de Gruyter. pp. 726, 748.
- "History : From John Cockerill to CMI". www.cmigroupe.com.
- "CMI Industry : Equipment". www.cmigroupe.com.
- "CMI industry : Locomotives". www.cmigroupe.com.
- "CMI energy : Horizontal and Vertical HRSGs". www.cmigroupe.com.
- "CMI defence : sector profile". www.cmigroupe.com.
- CMI Defence CSE90 Weapon System turret (90mm)
- CMI Defence CT-CV® Weapon System (105 mm) Turret gun 105 120 mm
- "CMI Defence". www.sovereign-publications.com.