|Initial release||February 28, 2006|
|Stable release||2.1.4 / July 8, 2013|
|Preview release||3.0-dev / October 20, 2011|
|Type||Web application framework|
|License||Open Software License ("OSL") v. 3.0|
CodeIgniter is an open source rapid development web application framework, for use in building dynamic web sites with PHP. "Its goal is to enable [developers] to develop projects much faster than writing code from scratch, by providing a rich set of libraries for commonly needed tasks, as well as a simple interface and logical structure to access these libraries." The first public version of CodeIgniter was released on February 28, 2006, and the latest stable version 2.1.4 was released July 8, 2013.
CodeIgniter is most often noted for its speed when compared to other PHP frameworks. In a critical take on PHP frameworks in general, PHP creator Rasmus Lerdorf spoke at frOSCon in August 2008, noting that he liked CodeIgniter "because it is faster, lighter and the least like a framework."
CodeIgniter's source code is maintained at GitHub, and as of the preview version 3.0-dev, is certified open source software licensed with the Open Software License ("OSL") v. 3.0. Versions of CodeIgniter prior to 3.0 are licensed under a proprietary Apache/BSD-style open source license.
The decision to switch to an OSL license sparked some community controversy, especially about the GPL incompatibility of the new license, to which EllisLab has responded with a series of articles entitled Software License Awareness Week.
On July 9th 2013, EllisLab announced that it is seeking a new owner for its CodeIgniter, stating lack of involvement as a reason. It is not clear whether CodeIgniter will remain the backbone of its ExpressionEngine software.
- "CodeIgniter User Guide : CodeIgniter At A Glance". CodeIgniter.com. Retrieved 2009-07-24.
- "CodeIgniter User Guide: Change Log". CodeIgniter.com. Retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "CodeIgniter User Guide: Models". CodeIgniter.com. Retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "7 Best PHP Frameworks". TISindia.com. 2014-02-12.
- "PHP Frameworks Benchmarks". Sellersrank.com. Retrieved 2009-07-24.
- "Benchmark update: Cake vs. CodeIgniter vs. Kohana". Pr0digy.com. 2008-09-03. Retrieved 2009-07-24.
- "Rasmus Lerdorf: PHP Frameworks? Think Again". Sitepoint.com. 2008-08-29. Retrieved 2009-07-24.
- EllisLab/CodeIgniter · GitHub. Github.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-08.
- "CodeIgniter User Guide Version 2.0.3 : CodeIgniter License Agreement". CodeIgniter.com. Retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "CodeIgniter changes license to OSL 3.0?". CodeIgniter.com Forum. 2011-10-21. Retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Software License Awareness Week". EllisLab.com. 2011-10-31. Retrieved 2012-12-28.
- EllisLab Seeking New Owner for CodeIgniter
- S, Prakash. "introduction to PHP Frameworks". Andolasoft. Retrieved 23 January 2014.