|Tyler Jewell (Founder & CEO)
Benjamin Mastrallet (Board)
Byron Sebastian (Board)
Vinny Smith (Board)
Plug-in for Eclipse IDE
Eclipse Che OSS
Codenvy provides a container-based development environment whose goal is to remove the need for developers to configure or maintain local or VM-based developer environments for their projects. Primary elements of the developer environment include:
- An IDE (integrated development environment)
- Source-code manager integration
- Build environments (for a compiled language)
- Debugging tools
- Docker-based, user-controlled containers for running projects
Codenvy's platform is hosted on a microservices architecture that provides isolated workspaces for developing, compiling, and executing applications. Codenvy is available as SaaS or as downloadable software for on-premises installations and is based on the Eclipse Foundation's Che project.
About the Company
Codenvy has 50 employees with offices in San Francisco, Redding, Luxembourg, and Cherkasy. It is privately held.
- January 2013: Codenvy founded by Tyler Jewell (Toba Capital Partner) as a spin-off of the eXo Platform where the product was originally conceived.
- February 2013: Codenvy raised $9M from investors including TOBA Capital and Auriga Partners.
- May 2013: Codenvy won both the Judges and Audience awards in the Cloud Services category at the Under the Radar conference.
- September 2013: Codenvy's architecture was made public.
- September 2013: Codenvy was named an SDTimes Company to Watch for 2014.
- October 2014: Codenvy announces Eclipse Che project, intellectual property donation, and participation with Pivotal, IBM, and SAP in the Eclipse Foundation's Eclipse Cloud Development project.
- November 2014: Codenvy announced that Byron Sebastian, former EVP at Salesforce.com and CEO of Heroku, joined its Board of Directors.
- Codenvy Architecture Diagrams:Codenvy Website
- Eclipse Che Project Page: Eclipse Foundation.
- Codenvy Introduces Docker-Powered Developer Workspaces: InfoQ.
- From eXo Cloud IDE to Codenvy Raising $9 Million Dollars: A Brief History: eXo Platform Blog
- Codenvy Raises $9M For Developer Platform To Code, Build And Test Apps: Techcrunch
- With Toba Capital, Vinny Smith suddenly emerges as a player in the venture industry: San Jose Mercury News.
- Auriga Partners Profile: Crunchbase.
- Under the radar 2013 winners announced: Under the Radar Conference.
- Codenvy’s Architecture, Part 1: InfoQ.
- Codenvy’s Architecture, Part 2: InfoQ.
- Codenvy selected to 2014 SD Times companies to watch list: SDTimes.
- Eclipse Shines Light on Cloud Based App Development: Infoworld.
- Byron Sebastian Joins Codenvy's Board of Directors: Codenvy Press Release.