|New Testament manuscript
Fragment with Acts 8:38
|Text||Acts, CE, Paul|
|Now at||Biblioteca Angelica|
|Size||27 cm by 21.5 cm|
Codex Angelicus designated by Lap or 020 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), α 5 (von Soden), is a Greek uncial manuscript of the New Testament. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 9th century. Formerly it was known as Codex Passionei.
The codex contains text of the Acts of the Apostles, the Catholic epistles, and the Pauline epistles, on 189 parchment leaves (27 cm by 21.5 cm). The text is written in two columns per page, 26 lines per column (size of column 21.2 cm by 7.2 cm). The codex contains large lacunae in Acts 1:1-8:10; and in Hebrews 13:10-25.
The Greek text of this codex is a representative of the Byzantine text-type with a few non-Byzantine readings. It is one of the very earliest purely Byzantine manuscripts, and belongs to the textual family Family E. Aland placed it in Category V.
In 1 Timothy 3:16 it has textual variant θεός ἐφανερώθη (God manifested) (Sinaiticuse, A2, C2, Dc, K, L, P, Ψ, 81, 104, 181, 326, 330, 436, 451, 614, 629, 630, 1241, 1739, 1877, 1881, 1962, 1984, 1985, 2492, 2495, Byz, Lect), against ὃς ἐφανερώθη (he was manifested) supported by Sinaiticus, Codex Alexandrinus, Ephraemi, Boernerianus, 33, 365, 442, 2127, ℓ 599.
It once belonged to the Cardinal Passionei. The manuscript was examined by Montfaucon, Bianchini, by Birch (James and 1 Corinthians), Scholz (all codex), and Ferdinand Fleck in 1833. It was collated by Tischendorf in 1843 and Tregelles in 1846. It was examined by G. Mucchio.
Wettstein and Scholz designated it by siglum G. The same siglum used Tischendorf, but in the 7th edition of his Novum Testamentum he used L. Gregory gave the number 020 ro it.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 113. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs’sche Buchhandlung. p. 102.
- Bruce M. Metzger, Bart D. Ehrman, "The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption and Restoration", Oxford University Press, (New York - Oxford, 2005), p. 77.
- UBS3, pp. 576-577.
- Bruce M. Metzger, A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament (Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft: Stuttgart 2001), pp. 573-573.
- 1 Timothy 3:16 in Codex Alexandrinus at the Bible Research
- Bernard de Montfaucon, „Palaeographia Graeca" (Paris, 1708), p. 514.
- Bianchini, Evangeliarium quadruplex latinae versionis antiquae seu veteris italicae (Rome, 1749), vol. I, p. DLXIV-DLXX.
- Birch, Variae Lectiones ad Textum Actorum Apostolorum, Epistolarum Catholicarum et Pauli, Copenhagen 1798, p. XIV. (as Ang. 2)
- Scholz, Biblisch-kritische Reise in Frankreich, der Schweiz, Italien, Palästine und im Archipel in den Jahren 1818, 1819, 1820, 1821: Nebst einer Geschichte des Textes des Neuen Testaments, Leipzig, 1823. (in Acts and Cath. as G, in Paul as I)
- S. P. Tregelles, "An Introduction to the Critical study and Knowledge of the Holy Scriptures", London 1856, p. 205.
- "Liste Handschriften". Münster: Institute for New Testament Textual Research. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- G. Mucchio, "Studi italiani di filologia classica" 4, Index Codicum Bibliothecae no. 39 (Florence, 1896), pp. 7–184.
- R. Waltz, Codex Angelicus Lap (020), Encyclopedia of Textual Criticism.