Folio 148 verso
|Now at||Munich University Library|
|Size||37.5 cm by 25.5 cm|
Codex Monacensis designated by X or 033 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), A3 (von Soden), is a Greek uncial manuscript of the Gospels, dated palaeographically to the 9th or 10th century. The manuscript is lacunose.
- Gospel of Matthew 6:6, 10, 11, 7:1-9:20, 9:34-11:24, 12:9-16:28, 17:14-18:25, 19:22-21:13, 21:28-22:22, 23:27-24:2, 24:23-35, 25:1-30, 26:69-27:12,
- Gospel of John 1:1-13:5, 13:20-15:25, 16:23-end,
- Gospel of Luke 1:1-37, 2:19-3:38, 4:21-10:37, 11:1-18:43, 20:46-end,
- Gospel of Mark 6:46-end.
Mark 14-16 is illegible.
The codex contains portions of the four Gospels on 160 thick parchment leaves (37.5 cm by 25.5 cm) in the Western order: Matthew, John, Luke, and Mark. The codex has survived is in a fragmentary condition. Written in two columns per page, 45 lines per page, in small, upright uncial letters, by "very elegant" hand. Some of them are compressed. The text of the Gospels is with a patristic commentary (except Mark), the commentary is written in minuscule letters. It has breathings and accents.
The Greek text of this codex is a representative of the Byzantine text-type, with an occasional readings seemed to be the Alexandrian. Aland gave for it profile 1051, 381/2, 12, 11S and placed it in Category V.
In Mark 9:49 it has textual variant πας γαρ πυρι αλι αλισθησεται instead of πας γαρ πυρι αλισθησεται.
The codex in 1757 was held in Innsbruck. It was in Rome, Ingolstadt (as a present from Gerard Vossius (1577–1649)), in 1827 arrived to Munich, now is located in the Munich University Library (fol. 30) in Munich.
It was examined by Joseph Dobrovsky, who collated some of its readings for Johann Jakob Griesbach. Scholz collated it, but with very little exactness. Tischendorf collated its text in 1844 and Tregelles in 1846. Burgon examined the manuscript in 1872.
- Aland, Kurt; Barbara Aland; Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.) (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 113. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Kurt Aland, "Synopsis Quattuor Evangeliorum. Locis parallelis evangeliorum apocryphorum et patrum adhibitis edidit", Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, Stuttgart 1996, p. XXI.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 152.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs’sche Buchhandlung. pp. 82–83.
- NA26, p. 121.
- "Liste Handschriften". Münster: Institute for New Testament Textual Research. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- Bruce M. Metzger, The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption and Restoration, Oxford University Press, 1968.
- H. J. Vogels, Codicum Novi Testamenti specimina (Bonn, 1929), 10
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Codex Monacensis.|