Codington County, South Dakota
|Codington County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 15, 1877|
|Named for||Reverend George S. S. Codington|
|• Total||717 sq mi (1,857 km2)|
|• Land||688 sq mi (1,781 km2)|
|• Water||29 sq mi (76 km2), 4.10%|
|• Density||38/sq mi (15/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Codington County is part of the Watertown, South Dakota, Micropolitan Statistical Area.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 717.2 square miles (1,857.5 km2), of which 688.5 square miles (1,783.2 km2) is land and 28.7 square miles (74.3 km2) (4.10%) is water.
- Grant County, South Dakota - northeast
- Deuel County, South Dakota - southeast
- Hamlin County, South Dakota - south
- Clark County, South Dakota - west
- Day County, South Dakota - northwest
||Day County||Grant County|
|Hamlin County||Deuel County|
As of the census of 2000, there were 25,897 people, 10,357 households, and 6,877 families residing in the county. The population density was 38 people per square mile (15/km²). There were 11,324 housing units at an average density of 16 per square mile (6/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.74% White, 0.14% Black or African American, 1.41% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.57% from other races, and 0.84% from two or more races. 1.06% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 48.2% were of German, 20.0% Norwegian and 5.5% Irish ancestry according to the 2000 census. 96.7% spoke English, 1.5% Spanish and 1.2% German as their first language.
There were 10,357 households out of which 33.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.50% were married couples living together, 8.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.60% were non-families. 27.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 3.04.
In the county, the population was spread out with 26.80% under the age of 18, 10.40% from 18 to 24, 28.00% from 25 to 44, 20.70% from 45 to 64, and 14.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 98.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.50 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $36,257, and the median income for a family was $45,153. Males had a median income of $30,279 versus $19,826 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,761. About 5.60% of families and 9.00% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.60% of those under age 18 and 10.80% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
- Florence (Population:374)
- Henry (Population:267)
- Kranzburg (Population:172)
- South Shore (Population:227)
- Wallace (Population:85)
- Watertown (Population:21,482)
The county is divided into seventeen townships: Dexter, Eden, Elmira, Fuller, Germantown, Graceland, Henry, Kampeska, Kranzburg, Lake, Leola, Pelican, Phipps, Rauville, Richland, Sheridan, Waverly.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: South Dakota". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Codington County, South Dakota.|