April 18, 1983 |
London, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight||221 lb (100 kg; 15 st 11 lb)|
|NHL Draft||144th overall, 2001
Cody McCormick (born April 18, 1983) is a Canadian ice hockey player for the Buffalo Sabres of the National Hockey League. He is of European and First Nations descent, with both Oneida and Chippewa/Ojibway ancestors.
McCormick was drafted 144th overall by the Colorado Avalanche in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft from the Belleville Bulls of the OHL. In his last junior year 2002–03, and as Captain, Cody had a breakout year offensively with the Bulls posting 36 goals and 69 points in 61 games. He was selected to the OHL First All-Star Team and named the Best Checker in the OHL.
Cody turned professional in 2003–04 and made his NHL debut with the Avalanche and spilt the year between the Avs and AHL affiliate the Hershey Bears. McCormick spent the next four seasons between the Avalanche and the AHL before he found a full-time role with Colorado in 2008–09 playing in a NHL high 55 games and contributing 12 points.
On August 1, 2009, McCormick signed a one-year contract with the Buffalo Sabres. He was then assigned to AHL affiliate, the Portland Pirates for the 2009–10 season, posting professional career highs with 17 goals and 29 points in 66 games. During the playoffs with the Pirates McCormick was recalled to Buffalo as an injury replacement for additional toughness. On April 21, 2010, McCormick made his debut with the Sabres in Game 4 of the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs against the Boston Bruins recording an assist on a goal by Tim Kennedy.
Contributing with 2 assists in his brief showing with Buffalo, he was then re-signed to a one-year, one-way contract with the Sabres on July 2, 2010. McCormick led the team in penalty minutes in the 2010–2011 season, playing primarily on the fourth line with Patrick Kaleta.
During the shortened 2012–13 season, his fourth with the Sabres organization, McCormick was placed on waivers on February 20, 2013. With appearing in only 8 scoreless games he passed through unclaimed the following day and was immediately re-assigned to AHL affiliate, the Rochester Americans.
|2005–06||Lowell Lock Monsters||AHL||13||1||6||7||34||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||Albany River Rats||AHL||42||8||8||16||64||5||1||0||1||4|
|2007–08||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||13||2||4||6||16||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours
|Ontario Hockey League|
|First All-Star Team||2003|
- "Avs McCormick takes pride in heritage". Denver Post. 10 November 2008. Retrieved 10 November 2008.[dead link]
- "McCormick hands-down choice for captain.". Nationalnews.ca. 2003-04-01. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Sabres sign Cody McCormick". Buffalo Sabres. 1 August 2009. Retrieved 1 August 2009.
- "Sabres recall Cody McCormick from Portland". Buffalo Sabres. 2010-04-20. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Satan completes comeback for Bruins in 2OT, up 3-1 on Sabres". CBS Sports. 2010-04-21. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Sabres re-sign Cody McCormick". WGR. 2010-07-02. Retrieved 2010-08-01.
- Jason Brough (20 February 2013). "Sabres put McCormick on waivers". nbcsports.com. Retrieved 20 February 2013.