Coffins Grove Township, Delaware County, Iowa
|Coffins Grove Township|
Location in Delaware County
|• Total||36.55 sq mi (94.67 km2)|
|• Land||36.55 sq mi (94.67 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||1,037 ft (316 m)|
|• Density||16.8/sq mi (6.5/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||0467630|
Coffins Grove Township (formerly Coffin's Grove with the apostrophe s) was organized in 1855. It is named for Clement Coffin, who settled in a forested grove about 15 years before.
Coffins Grove Township covers an area of 36.55 square miles (94.67 square kilometers). The stream of Prairie Creek runs through this township.
Cities and towns
- Richland Township (north)
- Honey Creek Township (northeast)
- Delaware Township (east)
- Prairie Township (south)
- Middlefield Township, Buchanan County (southwest)
- Fremont Township, Buchanan County (west)
- Madison Township, Buchanan County (northwest)
The township contains three cemeteries: Coffins Grove, Greenwood and Saint Mary.
Airports and landing strips
- Manchester Municipal Airport
- United States Census Bureau American FactFinder
- The History of Delaware County, Iowa: Containing a History of the County, Its Cities, Towns, &c. Western Historical Company. 1878. p. 555.