General view 2015
Location of Cokeburg in Washington County
|• Mayor||Bernard M. Luketich|
|• Total||0.4 sq mi (1 km2)|
|• Density||1,800/sq mi (680/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-5)|
Cokeburg is located at (40.100120, -80.063637).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2), all of it land. Cokeburg is drained by Pigeon Creek.
The borough is crossed by Pennsylvania Route 917.
As of the census of 2000, there were 705 people, 308 households, and 206 families residing in the borough. The population density was 1,931.0 people per square mile (735.7/km²). There were 339 housing units at an average density of 928.5 per square mile (353.8/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 98.87% White, 0.14% Asian, and 0.99% from two or more races.
There were 308 households out of which 26.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.6% were married couples living together, 13.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.1% were non-families. 31.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.29 and the average family size was 2.85.
In the borough the population was spread out with 21.0% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 27.0% from 25 to 44, 23.5% from 45 to 64, and 21.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 85.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.4 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $30,179, and the median income for a family was $39,028. Males had a median income of $32,404 versus $19,514 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $15,754. About 6.9% of families and 9.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.9% of those under age 18 and 13.2% of those age 65 or over.
In popular culture
The last episode of the TV series Quantum Leap, starring Scott Bakula and airing on May 4, 1993 on NBC, was filmed in Cokeburg, where it portrayed the "final leap". The site was chosen because it was the childhood home of the show's creator, Donald P. Bellisario.
- Donald P. Bellisario (born August 8, 1935) – Creator/executive producer of several television series, one of which is NCIS (current show runners are Shane Brennan, Gary Glasberg and aforementioned Donald Bellisario).
- Excerpt from Golden Jubilee Celebration
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Bentleyville Public Library (serving Cokeburg)
- Media related to Cokeburg, Pennsylvania at Wikimedia Commons