26 January 1967
|Known for||Founder and CEO of Internet Movie Database|
Colin Needham (born 26 January 1967, Manchester, England) is the founder and CEO of the Internet Movie Database (IMDb), and has served as General Manager of IMDb since its acquisition by Amazon.com in 1998.
IMDb was started in 1990 by Colin Needham while Needham was working as an engineer in Bristol at Hewlett-Packard (HP). By the summer of 1996, thanks to IMDb's first film-related advertising campaign (for Independence Day), Needham had quit HP to work on IMDb full-time as a paid employee.
Born in 1967 in Denton, Tameside, Greater Manchester, Needham grew up on Stockport Road and attended Audenshaw School. He later went on to Hyde sixth form now Hyde Clarendon. He graduated from University of Leeds with a BSc Computer Science in 1988.
- Richard Siklos (28 May 2006). "From a Small Stream, a Gusher of Movie Facts". The New York Times. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- IMDb. "Col Needham Biography". IMDb. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Col Needham at the Internet Movie Database
- Catherine Shoard (2013-05-12). "Six degrees of IMDb founder Col Needham This man has seen 8,524 movies. How does he know? Because he invented the Internet Movie Database – the indispensable cinema encyclopaedia – and put Bristol on Hollywood's map". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 2013-05-13.
- Nikki Finke (5 August 2004). "Do You IMDb?". L.A. Weekly. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- http://www.imdb.com/user/ur1000000/ Col Needham's user profile at the Internet Movie Database
- "3rd Annual Webby Awards Nominees & Winners". Webby Awards website. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- Amy Glendinning. "I am IMDb: The millionaire film geek from Denton behind the world's top movie website".
- Biography for Col Needham from Internet Movie Database[unreliable source?]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Col Needham.|