Col de la Madeleine
|Col de la Madeleine|
North side of the Col de la Madeleine in January
|Elevation||1,993 m (6,539 ft)|
Col de la Madeleine (el. 1,993 m.) is a high mountain pass in the Alps in the department of Savoie in France which connects La Chambre in Maurienne with Aigueblanche and Feissons-sur-Isère in Tarentaise. The pass is closed from November to the beginning of June. It has been described as "beautiful, but heartbreaking".
Details of the climb
The southern approach from La Chambre (via the D213) is 19.05 km. long, gaining 1,522 m. at an average gradient of 8%. Alternatively, the route via the D76 is 19.8 km. long, climbing 1,520 m. at an average of 7.7%.
The northern approach can be accessed via Feissons-sur-Isère or Aigueblanche. From Feissons-sur-Isère (via La Léchère), the climb is 25.3 km. long, gaining 1,585 m. at an average gradient of 6.2%. For the 2012 Tour de France, the height at the summit is shown as 2,000 m., whereas in previous years it has been shown as 1,993 m.
From Aigueblanche, the climb is 28.28 km. long, climbing 1,533 m. at an average of 5.4%.
On both sides of the Col de la Madeleine mountain pass cycling milestones are placed every kilometre. They indicate the height of the summit, the distance to the summit, the current height, and the average slope in the following kilometre. Such signposting for cyclists has become common in most major mountain passes in the French Pyrenees and Alps.
Appearances in Tour de France
The pass was first included in the Tour de France in 1969 and has since featured 24 times, most recently on Stage 11 of the 2012 race when it was approached from the direction of Feissons-sur-Isère.
It has been ranked hors catégorie, every year since 1995.
- "July 12: Stage 11". Tour de France 2012: Five key days to make or break Bradley Wiggins. Daily Telegraph. 10 July 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Col de la Madeleine: La Chambre via D213". www.climbbybike.com. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Col de la Madeleine: La Chambre via D76". www.climbbybike.com. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Le col de la Madeleine dans le Tour de France". ledicodutour.com. Retrieved 9 July 2012. (French)
- "Col de la Madeleine: Aigueblanche". www.climbbybike.com. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Stage 11: Albertville – La Toussuire - Les Sybelles". Tour de France. Amaury Sport Organisation. Retrieved 28 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Col de la Madeleine.|