Col du Grand Cucheron
|Col du Grand Cucheron|
View from the col towards the Lauzière massif
|Elevation||1,188 m (3,898 ft)|
Col du Grand Cucheron, at an elevation of 1,188 metres (3,898 ft), is a mountain pass in the Alps in the department of Savoie in France. The pass crosses the northern end of the Belledonne massif, connecting the Maurienne and Isère valleys. The climb to the col was used on Stage 12 of the 2012 Tour de France.
Details of the climbs
From La Corbière (near Saint-Pierre-de-Belleville) (east), the climb is 11.61 kilometres (7.21 mi) long, gaining 805 metres (2,641 ft) at an average of 6.9 percent. This will be the direction from which the col is climbed in the 2012 Tour de France.
The climb can also be accessed from Aiguebelle (northeast) from where the route is 16.3 kilometres (10.1 mi) at an average of 5.3 percent, gaining 870 metres (2,850 ft). This route connects with that from La Corbière just after passing through Saint-Georges-des-Hurtières.
Appearances in Tour de France
The pass was first included in the Tour de France in 1972 and has since featured three times, most recently in 1998. It is generally ranked as a Category 2 climb. It was crossed on Stage 12 of the 2012 tour, between Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne and Annonay-Davézieux, approaching from the direction of Saint-Pierre-de-Belleville.
|Year||Stage||Category||Start||Finish||Leader at the summit|
|2012||12||1||Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne||Annonay-Davézieux||Robert Kišerlovski (CRO)|
|1998||16||2||Vizille||Albertville||Stéphane Heulot (FRA)|
|1983||17||2||La Tour-du-Pin||L'Alpe d' Huez||Serge Demierre (SUI)|
|1972||14b||2||Valloire||Aix-les-Bains||Eddy Merckx (BEL)|
- "Col du Grand Cucheron: Les Granges". www.climbbybike.com. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- "Col du Grand Cucheron: La Corbière". www.climbbybike.com. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- "Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne – Annonay Davézieux". Mountain passes & Hills. Le Tour de France. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- "Col du Grand Cucheron: Aiguebelle". www.climbbybike.com. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- Woodland, Les (2003). The Yellow Jersey Companion to the Tour de France. Yellow Jersey Press. p. 263. ISBN 0-224-06318-9.
- "Le Col du Grand Cucheron dans le Tour de France". ledicodutour.com. Retrieved 12 July 2012. (French)
- "Stage 12: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne to Annonay-Davézieux". Tour de France. Amaury Sport Organisation. Retrieved 11 July 2012.