The Colchester Martyrs were 16th-century English Protestant martyrs. They were executed for heresy in Colchester, Essex, during the reigns of Henry VIII and Mary I. Their story is recorded in Foxe's Book of Martyrs.
1545 or 1546
29 March 1555
14 June 1555
28 April 1556
Christopher Lister, a husbandman from Dagenham, Essex, John Mace, an apothecary from Colchester, Essex, John Spencer, a weaver from Colchester, Essex, Simon Joyne, a sawyer, Richard Nicol, a weaver from Colchester, Essex and John Hamond, a tanner from Colchester, Essex were burned at the stake.
2 August 1557
William Bongeor, Thomas Benhote, William Purchase, Agnes Silverside, Helen Ewring, Elizabeth Folk, William Munt, John Johnson, Alice Munt and Rose Allen were taken to Colchester Castle by Edmund Tyrrel and were burned at the stake.
17 September 1557
26 May 1558
- Foxe's Book of Martyrs: 207. John Athy, John Heywood, Kerby, and Roger Clarke
- Foxe's Book of Martyrs, Glossary of People
- Foxe's Book of Martyrs: 275. William Pygot, Stephen Knight, and John Laurence. Exclassics.com. Retrieved on 2013-05-17.
- Thomas Bryce, "The Regester" in Edward Farr, ed., Select Poetry of the Reign of Queen Elizabeth.1845.
- Foxe's Book of Martyrs: 291. Thomas Osmond, William Bamford, Thomas Osborne and others.Exclassics.com. Retrieved on 2013-05-17.
- Foxe's Book of Martyrs 338. Christopher Lyster, John Mace, John Spencer, Simon Joyne, Richard Nichols and John Hamond. Exclassics.com. Retrieved on 2013-05-22.
- The Ex-Classics Web Site - THE ACTS AND MONUMENTS OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH by JOHN FOXE: 362. TEN COLCHESTER MARTYRS
- "Foxe's Book of Martyrs - 367. Agnes Bongeor, Margaret Thurston and John Kurde". Exclassics.com. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- Foxe's Book of Martyrs: 378. Three Colchester Martyrs. Exclassics.com. Retrieved on 2013-05-30
- St Peter's Colchester: Memorials - part 1
- Virtual Tour of Colchester's Town Hall
|This English biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|