||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Spanish Wikipedia. (December 2009)|
The APG III system, of 2009 (unchanged from the APG systems, of 1998 and 2003), does recognize such a family and places it in the order Liliales, in the clade monocots, and regards the family as including some two hundred species of herbaceous perennials with rhizomes or corms.
The Dahlgren system and the Thorne system (1992) also recognized this family, and placed it in order Liliales in superorder Lilianae in subclass Liliidae (monocotyledons) of class Magnoliopsida (angiosperms).
The following is an alphabetic list of genera usually included in this family :
- Colchicum (including Bulbocodium, and Merendera)
- Gloriosa (including Littonia)
- Wurmbea (including Neodregea and Onixotis)
The phylogenetic classification of Vinnersten & Manning (2007) circumscribes the family as follows.
- tribe Burchardieae
- Burchardia R.Br.
- tribe Uvularieae
- tribe Tripladenieae
- tribe Iphigenieae
- Camptorrhiza E.Phillips
- Iphigenia Kunth
- tribe Anguillarieae
- Baeometra Salisb.
- Wurmbea Thunb. (including Neodregea C.H.Wright and Onixotis Raf.)
- tribe Colchiceae
The genus Petermannia F.Muell. is excluded from this family and placed in its own family Petermanniaceae, Liliales. There is still some controversy regarding the inclusion of Androcymbium in Colchicum as genetic analysis do not separate the genera unless morphological characters are taken into account. As the investigations thus far haven't included all relevant species the question awaits resolve from larger analyses.
- Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (2009). "An update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG III" (PDF). Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 161 (2): 105–121. doi:10.1111/j.1095-8339.2009.00996.x. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- Vinnersten, A. & Manning, J. (2007).A new classification of Colchicaceae. Taxon 56(1): 163-169.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Colchicaceae.|
- Colchicaceae, Uvulariaceae in L. Watson and M.J. Dallwitz (1992 onwards). The families of flowering plants: descriptions, illustrations, identification, information retrieval. Version: 9 March 2006. http://delta-intkey.com.
- NCBI Taxonomy Browser
- images at PlantSystematics.org
- links at CSDL, Texas