Cold Case Files
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008)|
|Cold Case Files|
|Format||Reality legal show, documentary|
|Created by||Kurtis Productions, Ltd.|
|Starring||Bill Kurtis (host)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||126|
|Running time||approx. 45–50 minutes|
|Original channel||A&E Network|
|Original run||January 1, 1999 – 2008|
Cold Case Files is a reality legal show/documentary on the cable channel A&E Network hosted by Bill Kurtis that documents the investigation of various long-unsolved murders (referred to as "cold cases" in detectives' parlance) through the use of modern forensic science (especially recent advances in DNA techniques), and criminal psychology, in addition to recent breakthroughs in the case(s) involving previously silent witnesses.
Cold Case Files first aired as a sub-series of another A&E crime documentary program, Investigative Reports, also hosted by Bill Kurtis, which ran from 1991–2008. Reruns of the series currently air on broadcast syndication in the United States, usually in lower-profile time slots, and on many RTV stations.
- Pilot Episode (featuring Cold Case #1: Murder of Felicia Prechtl by Karl Chamberlain; Cold Case #2: My Brother The Killer; Cold Case #3: The Bob Crane Murder; and Cold Case #4: Case Resolved)
- The Boy and the Monster/Secret in the Cellar
- The Texas Drifter/The Fingerprint File/A Rose Among Thorns
- The Answer in the Box/Maternal Instinct
- The Hunter Homicides/The Skulls Of Stanley Park
- Through Eyes of a Child/The Killer Next Door – "Through Eyes of a Child" told the story of solving the murder of Michelle Morgan, a 4-year-old child abuse victim who was murdered by her stepmother in 1961. "The Killer Next Door" told the story of John Mcrae, who started killing at 15.
- One Night on the Bayou/The Buckeye Misdemeanor
- The Mark of Cain/Death on The Freeway
- Terror in Telluride/Signature of a Killer
- Diary Of A Serial Arsonist/The Lost Clue
- Killer on the Strip/The Doll Murder
- Murder Illustrated/Blood Relations
- The Burning Secret/Justice Delayed
- Reconstructing Murder/Fire Flicks
- The Missing Informant/Man's Best Friend
- Killer in the County
- Presumed Dead/The Tow Truck Killer
- Portrait Of A Killer/The Tortured Truth – "Portrait of a Killer" told about how NecroSearch, a volunteer team of victim advocates with technical investigation skills, successfully investigated the disappearance of photographer Michelle Wallace, age 25, who had been reported missing from Gunnison, Colorado, in 1974.
- The Missing and the Dead
- Silent Witness/Innocence Lost
- Frozen in Time/Little Girl Lost
- Family Secret/Blood Trail
- Bodies In The Bay (Copyrights by Author Mason Ramsey) /Till Death Do Us Part
- Operation Jambalaya/Footprints in the Snow
- The South Side Rapist
- Mark of a Killer/Dead Ends
- The Baiting Game
- Ticket to Nowhere/The Paper Route
- Traces of Murder/The Bathtub Killer
- Pride and the Fall/The Nail File
- In the Care of a Killer/Deadly Lies
- Lady in the Box (John Smith)
- Crimes of the KKK
- Murder On The Menu
- The Widow and the Wolf/Unicorns and Alligators
- Vintage Murder/Trouble in Paradise
- The Perfect Murder/Death of the Innocents
- The Unluckiest Man/The Deadly Triangle
- Cat and Mouse/Cabbie Killer
- The Cuff Link/Graveyard Shift
- The Good Samaritan/Gun Shy
- A Map To Murder/Life on the Run
- Soft Kill/Unsolved
- License to Kill/The Tell-Tale Mark/The Super
- The Original Night Stalker
- Cold Hit/Silent Kill
- Mommy's Rules – Murder of Suesan and Sheila Knorr
- A Sealed Fate/Deadly Divorce
- Cop Killer/Evil Twin
- The Zodiac Killer
- The Accidental Killer/Little Sister Lost
- The Merry Widow/The Bad Cop-"The Merry Widow" describes how a woman arranges the murder of her husband to obtain insurance money. "The Bad Cop" covers an attempt by a former State Trooper to disguise a murder as a suicide.
- Daddy Knows Best/Dawn of the Dead-"Daddy Knows Best" reveals a child-molesting father who killed his wife and nearly gets away with it. "Dawn of the Dead" pursues the murder of a gas attendant on his first day at work in San Jose, California.
- The Killer's Tattoo
- The Green River Killer
- A Hitchhike to Murder/Never Forgotten
- The DNA Link/The Secret Slide
- Death Before I Do/Hollywood Homicide
- Blood Money/Precious Doe
- Unholy Bible/A Daughter's Justice
- Officer Down/Secret Twin
- Weepy-Voiced Killer/The Mr. Big Sting
- Blood on the Badge/Bump in the Night
- The Lady Killer/A Husband's Secret
- Mistaken for a Killer/A Woman Scorned
- The Missing Hunters/The Flashlight Rapist
- Cowboys on the Case/Office Politics
- The Flaming Gorge Falls/Caught in the Mail
- Murder Checks In / Killer in the City-"Murder Checks In": Three women raped and killed in Iowa hotels are the work of a serial killer with keys. "Killer in the City": A frightened Bronx woman is stabbed 39 times, but the suspect claims self-defense.
- The Shopping Cart Killer
- The Hit makers/Favor For A Friend
- Lil Miss /Skeletons In The Closet
- Innocent Prey/The Punishment
- Love Triangle/2nd Story Rapist
- The Calling Card/Carol's Diary
- Beauty Queen Killer/The Fingerprint
- Friend of the Family/Remains of Murder
- Under a Spell/Justice for Lisa
- A Man Scorned/The Dungeon
- A Killer Named Korn/The Night Watchman
- The Bedroom Basher
- Baby for Sale/The Barrel
- The Bitemark/Justice for Eglena-Forensic dentistry is key to solving a teen's murder, using a photo of "The Bitemark" on the killer's arm. A young woman whose ravaged body is found in a churchyard has a family who demands "Justice for Eglena."
- Sex, Lies and Murder. The episode describes the investigations that lead to the arrest of John Edward Robinson, the "Internet slave master"
- The Monster/A Cousin's Promise
- A Brother's Burden/The Midnight Attacker
- The Well/The Deadly Ex- An elderly man is found in "The Well." His stolen guns lead to his killers. When a young mother's body is found in her car's trunk, a little girl's question is: "Did daddy do it? Is he 'The Deadly Ex'?"
- Déjà Vu/Secret In The Well
- The Tourniquet/Burning Desire
- The Family / The Clue That Stuck-A Mexican crime family is suspected of a teen girl's murder; DNA on a duct tape is "The Clue That Stuck."
- Man in the Shadows/The Hitchhiker
- A Confession for Carmen/The Girls
- A Sister Lost/Rumors of Murder
- Smoky Mountain Mystery / A Drop of Blood
- Rear Window / The Peeper-"Rear Window": A 23-year-old fails to show up for work, police find her lifeless body. A suspect emerges, but getting a DNA sample requires finesse. "The Peeper": A neighborhood with a Peeping Tom is shocked when a man is murdered and assaulted. Clues? DNA and a barefoot print. Fourteen years later the assailant is caught during another 'peep' job.
- The Closers/Caught by an Eyelash
- Obsession: Dave Reichert and the Green River Killer
- Kidnapped-The parents of Chad Choice, a missing 8-year-old boy in Tyler, Texas, receive a grisly package containing his skull!
- On the Case: Nacole's Killer
- Caught on Tape/A Son Remembers
- Snatched/A Detective's Promise
- Finding BTK
- Death Of A Deacon/A Wife's Mission
- The Sunday Morning Slasher
- Killer on Campus/The Bow Hunter
- Something Snapped/A Killer's Dream
- Daddy Dearest/A Pastor's Wife
- A Killer's Skin / Where's Peggy?
- The Interrogation/The Slide
- A Deadly Affair/The Sting Operation- "A Deadly Affair" leads to a dead husband in Olathe, KS, unsolved for over 20 years; "The Sting Operation" catches a drugstore robber who killed an officer in Beebe, AR.
- Innocence Stolen/Danger at the Door
- On the Case: A Child Remembers
- The Deadly Stroll/Unholy Secret
- The Black Dahlia: The 1947 murder of actress Elizabeth Short, the oldest unsolved case in L.A..
- Seattle, WA: Long Walk Home
- The Taunt/Death in Deadwood-A rapist/murderer's taunting postcard provides DNA to finger him. Deadwood, South Dakota uses the FBI fingerprint database to locate "Outlaw," an elusive hippie who bashed David Rose with a boulder.
- NCIS/Exhuming the Truth
- Cross Country Connection/Eyes at the Window
- Abandoned Houses/A Son's Memory
- A Knock at the Door/Shattered
- A Deadly Pattern/A Desperate Housewife
- Murder He Wrote/Caught By the Past
- Evidence Kit
- Left for Dead/On the Case
Emmy Award: Outstanding Nonfiction Series (2004 & 2005) Michael Harvey (executive producer) Laura Fleury (executive producer) Tania Lindsay (supervising producer) Michael West (supervising producer) Mary Frances O'Conner (producer) Bill Kurtis