|Lynn C. Thompson (President & Founder), Andrew Demko, Robert Vaughn, Ron Balicki, Luke LaFontaine, Anthony DeLongis|
|Products||Knives, Swords, Tomahawks, Pepper Spray, Machetes, Spears, Blowguns, Axes, Martial Arts & self defense-related Products and training tools|
The company's products include fixed blade knives, folding knives, swords, machetes, tomahawks, kukris, blowguns, walking sticks, and other martial arts–related items and training equipment. Their knives are used by military and law-enforcement personnel worldwide.
The knives are made using VG-10 Stainless Steel, 4116 Stainless Steel, 1055 High Carbon Steel, O-1 High Carbon, SK-5 High Carbon Steel, Japanese San Mai III Steel, Japanese AUS 8A Stainless Steel and American CPM 3V tool steel. Cold Steels folding knives are renowned for their lock strength, due primarily to the introduction of the TRI-AD locking mechanism, designed by custom knife maker Andrew Demko.
Cold Steels swords are primarily made from 1055 High Carbon Steel and Damascus Steel.
Many of Cold Steel's products are designed by company President Lynn C Thompson and based upon traditional knife designs from all over the world, but Cold Steel has also collaborated with custom knife makers such as Andrew Demko, Phil Boguszewski, Zach Whitson, Steven Likarich, Keith Dehart, Rich McDonald, Bob Koga, Fred Perrin and Lloyd Pendleton on certain designs.
Cold Steel is known for their graphic marketing videos and DVDs (entitled "PROOF") which demonstrate their products' strength, sharpness, edge retention and durability. Featured tests include piercing car hoods, using folding knives as monkey bars, slicing through large free-hanging pieces of meat and bone, and shearing free hanging rope with a single stroke.
In the Media
Cold Steels products feature heavily in movies, TV shows, games and web series. Their knives have seen prominent use in numerous action movies since the early 1980s.
Many of Cold Steels employees are Martial Artists and weapons experts, who feature in their notorious marketing videos. Some of the members of their "crew" are also Hollywood Stunt Men, Fight Choreographers and Trainers. Most notably, Ron Balicki, Luke LaFontaine and Anthony DeLongis.
Company President Lynn C Thompson is a well known Martial Artist, who was awarded the title "Master At Arms" by his peers in 2011.
Thompson also writes regular articles regarding the use of knives for self-defense.
Special Projects division
Special Projects is a division of Cold Steel Inc. that produces a line of tools and weapons such as Spetsnaz-type shovels, sjamboks, and spears. Additionally a line of tomahawks, axes, and hammers is marketed under the name of The American Tomahawk Company.
- Ahern, Jerry (15 September 2010). Armed for Personal Defense. Iola, Wisconsin: Krause Publications. pp. 87–88. ISBN 1-4402-1643-6.
- Lewis, Jack; Campbell, Robert K.; Steele, David (2007). "From Bayonet to Multi-Tool". The Gun Digest Book of Assault Weapons. Iola, Wisconsin: Gun Digest Books. pp. 221–223. ISBN 0-89689-498-3.
- Kertzman, Joe (2001). 2002 Sporting Knives. Iola, Wisconsin: Krause Publications. p. 99. ISBN 978-0-87349-266-9.
- Kertzman, Joe (2002). 2003 Sporting Knives. Iola, Wisconsin: Krause Publications. p. 29. ISBN 978-0-87349-430-4.
- Kertzman, Joe (2012). Knives 2013: The World's Greatest Knife Book. Iola, Wisconsin: Krause Publications. p. 553. ISBN 1-4402-3064-1.
- Shackleford, Steve (2010). Spirit Of The Sword: A Celebration of Artistry and Craftsmanship. Iola, Wisconsin: F&W Media. p. 99. ISBN 1-4402-1638-X.
- Winter, Butch (2003). "Collaborations with Custom Knifemakers". Sporting Knives 2003: 154–161. ISBN 0-87349-430-X.
- Barlow, Zeke (2008). "Flamboyant businessman deals in Cold Steel". Ventura County Star.
- "Cold Steel in Movies".
- "Lynn Thompson, Master-at-arms".
- Suermondt, Jan (2004). Illustrated Guide to Knives. Grange Books. p. 24. ISBN 978-1-84013-694-4.
- Branton, Bobby (2010). "Throwing Knives". In Steve Shackleford. Blade's Guide to Knives & Their Values. Iola, Wisconsin: Krause Publications. p. 558. ISBN 1-4402-1505-7.
- www.coldsteel.com—official site
- www.ltspecpro.com - Special Projects Division
- Youtube Channel - csknives YouTube Channel
- Facebook Fan Page - Cold Steel Official Facebook Fan Page
- Cold Steel Twitter - Cold Steel Official Twitter Page