Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia
|Municipality||Halifax Regional Municipality|
|Time zone||AST (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||ADT (UTC-3)|
|Canadian Postal code||B2V B2Z|
|Telephone Exchange||434 435|
Cole Harbour is adjacent to and immediately east of the former city boundary of Dartmouth; prior to municipal amalgamation and the creation of the Halifax Regional Municipality in 1995, Cole Harbour was an unincorporated village within the Municipality of the County of Halifax.
The centre of Cole Harbour is at the intersection of Forest Hills Parkway and Route 207 (Cole Harbour Road). A small business district is situated along Route 207 with several residential subdivisions such as Forest Hills and Colby Village located north and south of this road.
Extensive residential and commercial development took place during the 1970s and 1980s following completion of Highway 111 and the widening of Cole Harbour Road.
In the early 1900s, this section of roadway 207, east of Portland Estates Blvd. to the junction of 328, or Ross road was referred to as the "BreakHeart Hills" which runs through the community of Cole Harbour to Upper Lawrencetown. There are several Metro Transit bus routes connecting Cole Harbour with Dartmouth and Halifax, including MetroLink bus rapid transit service.
Until the mid-1980s, CN Rail operated a rail line from Dartmouth to Upper Musquodoboit with part of the route crossing the southern edge of the community. The abandoned rail corridor was converted to a rail trail named the Salt Marsh Trail and is part of the Trans Canada Trail.
- Auburn Drive High School
- Cole Harbour District High School
- Colby Village Elementary School
- George Bissett Elementary School
- Colonel John Stewart Elementary School
- Astral Drive Elementary School
- Caldwell Road Elementary School
- Joseph Giles Elementary School
- Sir Robert Borden Junior High School
- Astral Drive Junior High School
- Robert Kemp Turner Elementary School
Cole Harbour is home to Royal Canadian Sea Cadet Corps IROQUOIS, recipient of the Convoy Shield for the most proficient Sea Cadet Corps in the Maritime area.
Notable people from Cole Harbour
- Mike Clattenburg, Film director, writer and creator of Trailer Park Boys
- Sidney Crosby, National Hockey League All-Star and Olympic Gold Medalist
- TJ Grant, UFC Lightweight fighter
- Craig Hillier, Professional hockey player
- Nathan MacKinnon, Professional hockey player
- Matt Mays, Musician/Film Producer
- John Paul Tremblay, Actor, Trailer Park Boys
- Jason John Whitehead, Stand up comedian
- Morgan Williams, International rugby player