Colin Donnell at WonderCon 2013.
October 9, 1982 |
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
Early life and education
Colin Donnell was born in St. Louis, Missouri, as the youngest of three brothers. He has Irish ancestry. He played the Guitar and took singing lessons when he was 17. His introduction to the stage was in high-school where he was a part of the choir and was in the background juggling and doing circus tricks, which led him in being part of his first school musical production of Barnum. As he put it, he "loved it" and the rest is just history. Colin graduated from Indiana University in 2005.
Donnell has been part of many stage national tours such as Mamma Mia! and Wicked. His first Broadway Theatre performance was in Jersey Boys as Hank Mejewski. His other stage credits include Follies, Meet Me In St. Louis, Anything Goes for which he was nominated for a Drama Desk Award, Johnny Baseball and many more. Donnell started off in television by playing Mike Ruskin in the television series Pan Am. Since the fall of 2012, he starred as Tommy Merlyn in television series Arrow. For the summer of 2013, Donnell will star as Berowne in the musical adaption of Shakespeare's Love's Labour's Lost and he will also appear as Elizabeth Banks' husband in the crime thriller Every Secret Thing, which does not yet have a release date.
Donnell resides in New York, with a rooftop apartment. He is a literary aficionado and a music man. He has two tattoos from his tour trips - one from Memphis and one from Dayton; which are five silhouettes of birds to represent his family, and a Fleur De Lis, because his mom is French. In May of 2013, Donnell got his appendix removed.
|2014||Every Secret Thing||Post-production|
|2011–2012||Pan Am||Mike Ruskin||4 episodes|
|2012–2013||Arrow||Tommy Merlyn||Main Cast; 21 episodes|
|2005||Almost Heaven: Songs and Stories of John Denver||Male Roles|
|2005–2007||Jersey Boys||Hank Mejewski, Nick Massi, Bob Gaudio|
|2006||Jesus Christ Superstar||Peter|
|Meet Me In St. Louis||John Truitt|
|Me, Myself and I||Otto|
|2008||High School Musical on Stage!||Troy Bolton|
|2010||Johnny Baseball||Johnny O'Brian|
|2011–2012||Anything Goes||Billy Crocker||Nominated – Astaire Award Outstanding Male Dancer
Nominated – Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actor in a Musical
Nominated – Outer Critics Circle Award Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical
|2012||Merrily We Roll Along||Franklin Shepard|
|2013||Love's Labour's Lost||Berowne|
- "Happy Birthday to Colin Donnell! · Jersey Boys Blog". Jerseyboysblog.com. October 9, 2007. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
- Interview jerseyboysblog.com
- "JBB Interview Exclusive: Howard Tucker Interviews Colin Donnell! · Jersey Boys Blog". Jerseyboysblog.com. October 18, 2007. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
-  broadwayworld.com
- "Meet Me in St. Louis". Nytheatre-wire.com. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
- "Talkin' Broadway Regional News & Reviews - Me, Myself and I - 1/30/08". Talkinbroadway.com. 2008-02-17. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- "St. Louisan Colin Donnell goes from Muny to 'Arrow' : Entertainment". Stltoday.com. 2012-10-07. Retrieved 2012-10-18.