Colin Edwin on-stage with Porcupine Tree, Falls Church, October 2007.
2 July 1970 |
|Genres||Progressive rock, neo-psychedelia, art rock|
|Instruments||Bass guitar, double bass, fretless bass, guimbri|
|Associated acts||Porcupine Tree
Random Noise Generator
Colin Edwin (born 2 July 1970) is an Australian progressive rock musician. Since December 1993 he is a member of the British band Porcupine Tree, where he plays both fretted and fretless bass guitar as well as double bass and guimbri. Edwin is also a member of Ex-Wise Heads, a long running collaboration with multi instrumentalist Geoff Leigh mixing ethnic, ambient, and post-modern influences, as well as a metal-influenced project, Random Noise Generator and the band Metallic Taste of Blood
In 2001 Edwin played double bass on Returning Jesus by the United Kingdom duo No-Man, which is Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson's side project. Edwin and Wilson are friends from school. "Steven was instrumental in introducing me to several types of different music," he explained.
Edwin is a jazz fan, and incorporates an atypical jazz-inspired style into his playing for a rock band. His main bass was a 1994 Wal Mark I four-string fretless bass for 10 years of live and studio use until giving it "a break" and semi-retiring it from the rigours of live touring in 2004. He used a Music Man StingRay and after a Music Man Bongo for the Deadwing Tour, which can be viewed on Porcupine Tree's DVD release Arriving Somewhere.... During that time period Edwin was introduced to Spector basses and purchased a EuroLX 4-string model in Natural Oil. The company then gave him a gift one of their extended scale-length models (35" as opposed to the "standard" 34" scale for 4-string basses), a Euro 4LX-35 in transparent black. This proved to be useful as over half of their 2007 album, Fear Of A Blank Planet was downtuned C/F/Bb/Eb to which the 35" scale length give better definition to the lower notes as well as the general rigours of touring – "The Euro 4LX-35 has a graphite-reinforced neck, which means it can come out of a freezing-cold trailer into a hot gig every night for a month without going out of tune or having any truss-rod problems". For the second leg of the Fear of a Blank Planet Tour starting in October 2007 a ReBop Deluxe FM unlined fretless bass in Natural Oil was used for the song "A Smart Kid" among others, and well as using his Music Man Bongo bass guitar as his spare or encore bass.
However, as of late September 2009 Edwin was back to using his fretted and fretless Wal Mark I 4-string basses for the majority of the tour supporting the Porcupine Tree release of "The Incident" which was played in full on this leg and which he plays approximately 85% of "The Incident" song-cycle on his Wal basses. His black Spector Euro 4LX-35 is used for the other 15% "heavy parts" that are downtuned to C Standard the liner notes for "The Incident" Edwin still endorses the Spector and Basslab basses as well as EBS amplifiers, speaker cabinets, and effects pedals. He endorses Ernie Ball Bass Strings for use on his Wal fretless bass and Spector Medium Stainless Steel Bass Strings on his fretted Spector basses.
In 2011 Edwin formed the band "Metallic Taste of Blood" with Italian musician Eraldo Bernocchi, Hungarian drummer Balazs Pandi and Keyboard player Jamie Saft, releasing an album on Rarenoise records. 
Also in 2011, Edwin worked with American guitarist Jon Durant on the album "Dance of the Shadow Planets"  and the two collaborated further on the album Burnt Belief released on the Alchemy Records label in 2012.
Colin has also collaborated with Italian bassist Lorenzo Feliciati, resulting in the album "Twinscapes", released on Rarenoise in 2014  The "Twinscapes" album also features contributions from Nils Petter Molvær, David Jackson, Roberto Gualdi and Andi Pupato, and was mixed by bassist and producer Bill Laswell  Colin is known to have an interest in photography and also took the cover image for the album.
- 2012 Spector USA Series Bolt-On NS-4H2-MM Black Cherry High Gloss Custom Shop 4-string fretless bass (Unlined Ebony fingerboard) with EMG MM-TW pickups, Aguilar OBP-3 preamp & Hipshot hardware 
- 1983 Wal Mark I fretless 4-string bass (Natural finish, Ebony fingerboard) with a Hipshot Bass Extender installed for downtuning the E-string to D.
- Wal Mark I fretted 4-string bass (Natural finish, Ebony fingerboard) with a Hipshot Bass Extender installed for downtuning the E-string to D.
- 2006 Spector Euro 4LX-35 4-string bass downtuned to "C Standard" (C/F/Bb/Eb) in Transparent Black.  strung with Spector Medium Stainless Steel strings.
- BassLab Soul-IV in Black (used mainly as a studio bass and also as a backup/encore bass on the "Fear of a Blank Planet" tour ) strung with Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings.
- BassLab Soul-IV in Metallic Orange (prototype bass borrowed from Heiko Hoepfinger used as a studio/recording bass()
- EBS TD 650 amplifier and two 4x10" Proline neodymium cabs.
- EBS ValveDrive tube preamp/overdrive pedal, EBS MultiDrive distortion, EBS OctaBass octave, EBS MultiComp compressor, EBS UniChorus Chours, EBS Bass IQ Envelope Filter, EBS Tremolo, Boss HR-2 Harmonist, Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner.
- Gigrig Pro-14 switching system
Previously used equipment
- 2007 Spector ReBop Deluxe FM unlined fretless bass in Natural Oil.
- 2004 Music Man Stingray fretted 4-string bass (Natural ash finish, Rosewood fretboard ) with a Hipshot Bass Extender installed for downtuning the E-string to D.
- 2005 Music Man Bongo 4-string bass in "Stealth (flat) Black" (used for the majority of the "Deadwing" tour as seen on the band's "Arriving Somewhere..." Live DVD and as a backup/encore bass on the 2007-08 "Fear Of A Blank Planet" tour).
- Trace Elliott AH350 amplifier and speaker cabinets
- Tech 21 LM300 amplifier and two 4x10" speaker cabinets ("trashed on a European tour by some slack local crew")
- "Porcupine Tree". Free Williamsburg. Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- "Spector Bass - Europe Series 4LX-35". Archived from the original on 2008-04-10. Retrieved 2008-04-14.
- "Colin Edwin On Riding A Sonic Storm". Bass Player Magazine. September 2007. Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- "Spector Bass - Europe Series ReBopDLX Bolt-On". Archived from the original on 2008-04-10. Retrieved 2008-04-14.
- "Ernie Ball - News". Archived from the original on 2008-04-03. Retrieved 2008-04-14.
- "Debut solo album from Porcupine Tree bass player Colin Edwin". Third Vessel. Retrieved 2011-07-08.
- "Some of you know Porcupine tree???". Ernieball.com. Retrieved 2011-07-08.
- Colin Edwin Official Website
- Colin Edwin's Blog page
- Colin Edwin's Myspace
- Article in "Bass Player" magazine September 2007