Colin J. McInnes
Professor Colin J. McInnes is an expert in the relationship between health and foreign and security policy, and especially in HIV/AIDS and security. He is Director of the Centre for Health and International Relations (CHAIR) at the Department of International Politics, Aberystwyth University. He is also a UNESCO Professor of HIV/AIDS, Education and Health Security in Africa and became a member of the Academy of Social Sciences in February 2011. Previously he has been a lecturer in the Department of War Studies, The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst; a Visiting Research Fellow at King's College London, and a Special Adviser to the House of Commons Defence Committee. In addition he has been Chair of the British International Studies Association (BISA); a member of the ESRC’s Strategic Research Board and International Advisory Committee; member of the World Health Organisation’s expert group on Global Health Diplomacy; and Director of the UK Research Councils’ Security Research Forum. He previously co-directed (with Professor Kelley Lee, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine) a major project on health and foreign and security policy for The Nuffield Trust.
His current research focuses on the inter-relationship of health, security and foreign policy, particularly within the context of HIV/AIDS. Professor McInnes is Principal Investigator on an €2.35 million, 4-year European Research Council-funded project on 'The Transformation of Global Health Governance: Competing World Views and Crises'.
- Spectator Sport War: The West and Contemporary Conflict (Boulder Colo.: Lynne Rienner, 2002).Choice ‘Outstanding academic title 2002’ award.
- Dimensions of Western Military Intervention ed. with Nicholas J. Wheeler and contributor (London: Frank Cass, 2002).
- Hot War, Cold War: The British Army's Way in Warfare, 1945-95 (London: Brassey's, 1996).
- 'National security and global health governance', in Adrian Kay and Owain David Williams (eds.) Global Health Governance: Crisis, Institutions and Political Economy (Palgrave Macmillan, 2009).
- 'Health and security' in Paul Williams (ed.), Security Studies: An Introduction (Routledge, 2008).
- 'HIV/AIDS and national security', in Nana K. Poku, Alan Whiteside and Bjorg Sandkjaer (eds.), AIDS and Governance (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2007).
- 'HIV, AIDS and conflict in Africa: why isn't it (even) worse?', Review of International Studies, Vol. 37, No. 2 (2011), 485-509 (published online July 2010).
- (with Simon Rushton) 'HIV, AIDS and security: where are we now?', International Affairs, Vol. 86, No. 1 (January 2010), 225-245.
- 'Conflict, HIV and AIDS: a new dynamic in warfare?', Global Change, Peace and Security, Vol. 21, No. 1 (February 2009), 99-114.
- "Professor awarded UNESCO 'first'". BBC Wales. 29 November 2007. Retrieved 27 May 2011.
- "List of Academicians by institution". Academy of Social Sciences. Retrieved 27 May 2011.
- "Synopsis: The Transformation of Global Health Governance: Competing World Views and Crises". Retrieved 27 May 2011.