O'Donoghue at the PaleyFest 2013
26 January 1981 |
Drogheda, County Louth, Ireland
Colin O'Donoghue (born 26 January 1981) is an Irish actor and musician best known for his role as Captain Killian "Hook" Jones on the hit ABC show, Once Upon a Time, and his role as Michael Kovak in The Rite.
Early life and education
O'Donoghue was born and raised in Drogheda, County Louth, in a Roman Catholic family. He initially attended Dundalk Grammar School, and then The Gaiety School of Acting in Dublin. At age 16, O'Donoghue went to Paris for a month to learn French.
In 2009, O'Donoghue appeared as Duke Philip of Bavaria in an episode of season 3 of the Showtime historical-fiction series The Tudors. He made his Hollywood film debut alongside Anthony Hopkins in the horror thriller film The Rite (2011). O'Donoghue had made an audition video for The Rite in a friend's home studio in Drogheda and sent it to the United States. O'Donoghue also plays guitar and sings in a band called The Enemies, formed in 2003, in Ireland.
In 2012, O'Donoghue was cast as Captain Hook/Killian Jones in the second season of the hit ABC series Once Upon a Time. His role started off as a supporting character, until it was announced that O'Donoghue would be billed as a series regular beginning with the second-half of the second season.
O'Donoghue was also a part of the five-piece band from the east coast of Ireland, The Enemies. Formed in 2003 by O'Donoghue and close friend Ronan McQuillan, The Enemies released their self-titled debut EP on 7 March 2011 prior to their self-funded first album on track. He played guitar and sang backing vocals on the band's first EP and debut album. Though the band was unsigned, it was commissioned by General Motors to record tracks for their "Chevy route 66" online campaign. The band have also worked on the music for Coca-Cola's "5BY20" project. Their debut album Sounds Big on the Radio was to be released in March 2013, now scheduled for summer/fall of 2013.
Their song Sustain was featured on Direct TV's 3D surfing documentary series Gone Until December in the US in 2012 and they have also co-written and recorded the theme tune for 2012 animated European TV show Max Adventures. O'Donoghue publicised The Enemies globally whilst promoting his film The Rite. The band performed at the wrap party in Budapest and at the European premiere of the film in 2011. The Enemies attended South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas in 2012, where they performed at an Award Ceremony, Thurman Mansion in Driftwood and other gigs.
In May 2013 O'Donoghue announced he was leaving the band due to the filming schedule of Once Upon a Time.
O'Donoghue is married to Hellen O'Donoghue, and on August 2, 2013 the couple's son, Evan O'Donoghue, was born.
Despite his success outside of Ireland, O'Donoghue had not made plans to relocate to Los Angeles or Vancouver, Canada where he is shooting Once Upon A Time. He explained, “You don’t know what circumstances are going to come up, so it’s tough to make a decision like that and move somewhere for two or three years. . .Whatever happens, Drogheda will always be my home because it is where my friends and family are.”
|2002||Home for Christmas||Norman Quested||Television film
Irish Film & Television Award for Best New Talent
|2003||Call Girl||Brendan||Short film|
|2009||Euthanizer, TheThe Euthanizer||Ben||Short film|
|2009||Wild Decembers||Young guard||Television film|
|2011||Identity||John Bloom||Television film|
|2011||Rite, TheThe Rite||Michael Kovak|
|2001||Rebel Heart||Rowe||Miniseries; episode 1|
|2004||Love Is the Drug||Peter||2 episodes|
|2005||Fair City||Emmet Fitzgerald||3 episodes|
|2006–2008||Clinic, TheThe Clinic||Conor Elliott||11 episodes|
|2009||Tudors, TheThe Tudors||Duke Philip of Bavaria||Episode: "The Undoing of Cromwell"|
|2012–present||Once Upon a Time||Captain Hook/Killian Jones||Main cast (season 2–present)|
|Aoife and Isobel||Project Theatre||Dublin, Ireland|
|Dream of a Summer Day, TheThe Dream of a Summer Day||Storytellers Theatre Company||Dublin, Ireland|
|Eclipse||Olivier Theatre||London, England|
|Eugene Onegin – The Roadshow||Something Different Theatre Company||Oxford, England|
|Leaving||Quarehawks Theatre Company||Monaghan, Ireland|
|Moonlight Mickey's||Calipo Theatre Company||Drogheda, Ireland|
|Othello||Second Age Theatre Company||Dublin, Ireland|
|Outlying Islands||Island Theatre Company||Chicago, U.S.|
|Sky Road||Theatre Royal||Waterford, Ireland|
|Taming of the Shrew, TheThe Taming of the Shrew||Rough Magic Theatre Company||Dublin, Ireland|
|Walking the Road||Axis Theatre||Vancouver, Canada|
|What the Dead Want||Project Theatre||Dublin, Ireland|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Colin O'Donoghue.|
- Stacilayne (24 January 2011). "Alice Braga & Colin O'Donoghue Talk Devils, Exorcisms & Sir Anthony Hopkins – Alice Braga & Colin O'Donoghue Interview on The Rite, a New Horror Movie from Director Mikael Håfström and Starring Sir Anthony Hopkins". horror.com. Retrieved 1 February 2012.
- O'Doherty, Cahir (19 January 2011). "Colin O'Donoghue's 'Rite' of Passage". IrishCentral. Retrieved 1 February 2012.
- Dominguez, Robert (26 January 2011). "Filmed on Location: Colin O'Donoghue of 'The Rite'". Daily News. Retrieved 1 February 2012.
- "The Enemies – EP by The Enemies". iTunes Store Ireland. Apple. Retrieved 2012-09-28.
- "Pop | Rock | Band | Group | Drogheda". The Enemies Music. Retrieved 2012-09-28.
- howareyoufixed (2011-07-06). "Chevy Route 66 - The Enemies & John Landau". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-09-28.
- Entertainment. "The Enemies making friends around the globe - Lifestyle". Drogheda-Independent.ie. Retrieved 2012-09-28.
- "The Rite™ European Premiere & after party - The Official Website of Colin O'Donoghue". Colinodonoghue.com. Retrieved 2012-09-28.
- Staff (undated). "Winners of the 1st Annual Irish Film & Television Awards". Irish Film and Television Awards. Retrieved 1 February 2012.
- Campos, Adelina (23 June 2013). "Irish star Colin O'Donoghue talks about his Captain Hook role in TV drama series Once Upon A Time". Irish Mirror.
- "Biography". Colinodonoghue.com. Retrieved 2014-03-22.