Colin Salmon at Dinard British Film Festival (France)
6 December 1962
Bethnal Green, London, England
|Spouse(s)||Fiona Hawthorne (1988-present)|
Colin Salmon (born 6 December 1962) is an English actor best known for playing Charles Robinson in three James Bond films and James "One" Shade in the Resident Evil film series. He currently has a recurring role as Walter Steele in the CW series Arrow.
On leaving school, Salmon became the drummer in the punk rock band the Friction which he formed along with three friends from Ashcroft High School. The band released a 7-inch EP, a live cassette, a cassette-EP and performed regularly around Luton in 1979 and 1980. Salmon also briefly worked with another band, the Tee Vees. He plays trumpet and has his own jazz quartet playing at venues such as the Dorchester Grill Room and at events such as the Cheltenham Jazz Festival.
Speaking about his quartet to noted British jazz/soul writer Pete Lewis of the award-winning Blues & Soul, in a rare music-themed interview prior to their performance at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival in May 2008, Salmon stated:
|“||In terms of recording, we've done none. We've mostly just done very occasional performances – usually at very special events. You know, keeping a consistent band going is a bit like getting the Aston Martin out the garage – you have to run it every now and then! And what's made that particularly difficult in the last year, for example, is that I've literally just spent an entire 12 months travelling the world acting – from China through to Montreal to Botswana. But, having said that, with the children being older I do have more time when I am at home these days. So we have been able to do some rehearsing together. And, while we've always mostly performed standards, I have actually for the first time written some new stuff in time for this upcomng Cheltenham gig.||”|
He made his feature debut in 1992 as Sgt. Robert Oswald in the British mini-series Prime Suspect 2, which gave him much acclaim among British and American audiences. Salmon also played Note Makoti in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and David Tyrel in the Sky One UK television series Hex. He appears as himself in the sixth episode of the BBC Three comedy, Little Miss Jocelyn.
In 2006 he appeared in the eighth series of ITV drama Bad Girls as Senior Medical Officer Dr. Rowan Dunlop. He played Dr. Moon in two episodes ("Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead") of the fourth series of the long running science fiction television series Doctor Who. (Subsequently there were rumours that he would take on the coveted lead role of The Doctor in 2008 after David Tennant, but the role went to Matt Smith.) He has also recorded the role of Kerr Avon in the new audio series of Blake's 7.
Salmon has worked twice with director Paul W.S. Anderson; appearing in the films Resident Evil and Alien vs. Predator, in both of which Salmon's character meets a grisly end (in fact, a very similar end in both; both characters are sliced into small, crisscrossed chunks). He reprised his role as One in the 2012 film Resident Evil: Retribution alongside Michelle Rodriguez and Oded Fehr.
Salmon also played Oonu, squad leader of the Skybax in the 2002 mini-series Dinotopia. His other film credits include Captives (1994), Frantz Fanon:Black Skin White Mask (In this documentary directed by Isaac Julien Salmon plays the French psychiatrist, philosopher and revolutionary, Frantz Fanon) (1996), The Wisdom of Crocodiles (1998), Fanny and Elvis (1999) and My Kingdom (2001).
Salmon is one of the celebrity contestants on the tenth series of BBC One's Strictly Come Dancing, partnered with professional dancer Kristina Rihanoff. He was eliminated as a result of the "dance-off" in Week 5, in which he competed against Richard Arnold.
Salmon is a patron of the African-Caribbean Leukaemia Trust and the Richard House Children's Hospice and an ambassador for The Prince's Trust. He is also the chairman of governors at St Anne's Nursery. Salmon is involved in the Notting Hill Carnival and is the dance captain of the Fox Carnival Band.
Salmon married Fiona Hawthorne in 1988 and the couple have four children: Sasha, Rudi, Eden and Ben.
In September 2010, Salmon was invited by his friend Samuel L. Jackson to Switzerland for Shooting Stars Benefits 2010 Golf Tournaments. The golf competition raised money for the Samuel L. Jackson Foundation and the Swiss Red Cross to go towards a new hospital in Takéo Province, one of Cambodia's poorest provinces. In 2009 he became a co-founder of Cage Cricket with Trevor McArdle and Lawrence Prittipaul.
Colin is a supporter of Luton Town.
- Some Girls (2012) as Rob
- Arrow (2012) as Walter Steele
- Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) as One
- Single Ladies (2011) as Jerry Waters
- High Chicago (2011) as Sam (Post-production)
- Stalker (2010) as Léo Fox
- The Devil's Playground (2010) as Peter White
- Just for the Record (2010) as Maynard Stark
- The Rapture (2010) as Jean Paul
- The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret (2010) as Hudson
- Shank (2010) as Boogie
- Merlin (2009) as Aglain
- Exam (2009) as Invigilator
- Blood: The Last Vampire (2009) as Powell
- Clubbed (2009) as Louis
- Punisher: War Zone (2008) as Agent Paul Budiansky
- Credo (2008) as Dr Reynolds
- Doctor Who (2008) as Dr Moon
- The Bank Job (2008) as Hakim Jamal
- 8.3 Minutes (2008) as Professor Chamer
- Love Story (2007) as Dan
- Match Point (2005) as Ian
- Alien vs. Predator (2004) as Maxwell Stafford
- Freeze Frame (2004) as Detective Mountjoy
- Keen Eddie (2003) as Superintendent Nathanial Johnson
- The Statement (2003) as Father Patrice
- Die Another Day (2002) as Charles Robinson
- Dinotopia (TV miniseries) (2002) as Oonu
- Resident Evil (2002) as One
- Judge John Deed episodes Rough Justice and Exacting Justice as Willy Radcliff
- My Kingdom (2001) as the Chair
- Fanny and Elvis (1999)
- The World Is Not Enough (1999) as Charles Robinson
- The Wisdom of Crocodiles (1998) as Martin
- Band of Gold (1997) as Raymond
|1997||Tomorrow Never Dies||Charles Robinson|
|1998||The Wisdom of Crocodiles||Martin|
|1992||Prime Suspect 2||Detective Sergeant Robert Oswald|
|1993||Lovejoy||Rathbone||Episode The Kakiemon Tiger|
|1994||Murder Most Horrid||Lambert||episode "Overkill"|
|1995||All Men Are Mortal||Chas|
|1996||Frantz Fanon:black skin,white mask||Frantz Fanon||A documentary|
|1997||Band of Gold (TV series)||Raymond|
- Colin Salmon Biography (1962-). Retrieved 9 August 2011
- Ogg, Alex (2006) "Friction", in No More Heroes: A Complete History of UK Punk from 1976 to 1980, Cherry Red Books, ISBN 978-1-901447-65-1, p. 254-255
- Colin Salmon interview by Pete Lewis, 'Blues & Soul' April 2008
- "New guest stars announced for series 4.". bbc.co.uk. 24 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-24.
- Colin Salmon Fishes for Doctor Who Role | Underwire | Wired.com
- "Trailer for UK Thriller 'Exam' Drops in a Little Late". BloodyDisgusting.
- http://blackidealist.com/09/20/samuel-l-jackson-still-golfing-for-charity/. Retrieved 11 October 2010
- Colin Stars in Arrow
- "Colin Salmon Talks About His Role As Jerry Waters". VH1. 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Colin Salmon.|