Colin Smith (ice hockey)
June 20, 1993 |
Edmonton, AB, CAN
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||172 lb (78 kg; 12 st 4 lb)|
|NHL team (P)
Lake Erie Monsters (AHL)
|NHL Draft||192nd overall, 2012
Colin Smith (born June 20, 1993) is a Canadian ice hockey player. He is currently playing for the Lake Erie Monsters in the American Hockey League (AHL) whilst under contract to the Colorado Avalanche of the National Hockey League (NHL). Smith was selected by the Colorado Avalanche in the 7th round (192nd overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Smith, played midget originally with CAC Edmonton Canadians of the Alberta Midget Hockey League. In the 2008–09 season Smith joined the Western Hockey League after he was drafted 7th overall in the WHL Bantam draft in 2008 by the Kamloops Blazers.
As a centre with average size, Smith developed a high hockey sense in his four-year outstanding career. He was awarded the Doc Seaman Memorial Trophy when he was only 17 year old, a coveted trophy given to the Western Hockey League's Scholastic Player of the Year. In 2011, he played in the Under-18 World Championship in Germany representing Canada. "The entire Kamloops Blazers organization is very proud of Colin Smith for earning this award," remarked Craig Bonner, Vice President and General Manager to Kamloops Blazers. Smith happens to be the third player to win this award for the Blazers.
In his final year with the Blazers in the 2012–13 season, Smith was a contender throughout the season as the WHL's leading scorer. Alongside linemate J.C. Lipon, Smith helped the Blazers set a franchise record in consecutive wins whilst earning consideration for the Canadian World Junior Squad. Smith finished fourth overall in league scoring with 106 points in 72 games and was rewarded for his outstanding performance with a selection to the 2013 WHL West First All-Star Team.
On July 5, 2013, it was officially announced that Smith had signed a three-year entry level contract with the Colorado Avalanche.
Regular season and playoffs
|2008–09||CAC Edmonton Canadians||AMHL||34||23||32||55||10||—||—||—||—||—|
|Junior int'l totals||12||3||4||7||18|
Awards and honours
|Daryl K. (Doc) Seaman Trophy||2011|
|First All-Star Team||2013|||
- Smith, Colin. "Colin Smith Wins the WHL Scholastic Player of the Year". OSC (Our Sports Central). Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Smith, Colin. "Colin Smith Selected by Colorado Avalanche". OSC. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Smith, Colin. "WHL Roundup: Colin Smith leads Blazers over Hitmen 3-2 in a shootout". The Canadian Press. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Hawks With 7 All-Stars, 2 Award Finalists". Portland Winterhawks. 2013-04-25. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- "Avalanche announce signings". Colorado Avalanche. 2013-07-05. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- "2013 WHL West All Stars & Award". Western Hockey League. 2013-05-01. Retrieved 2013-05-01.