Colin Stetson at the mœrs festival in 2010.
|Born||Ann Arbor, Michigan|
|Genres||jazz, experimental, indie rock|
|Associated acts||Arcade Fire, Bell Orchestre, Bon Iver|
Colin Stetson, born in Ann Arbor, Michigan and currently based in Montreal, Quebec, is a saxophonist and multireedist, and touring member of Arcade Fire, Bell Orchestre and Bon Iver. In addition to saxophone, he plays clarinet, bass clarinet, french horn, flute, and cornet.
Stetson has performed and recorded with dozens of artists, including Tom Waits, Arcade Fire, TV on the Radio, Feist, Bon Iver, My Brightest Diamond, Laurie Anderson, David Byrne, Jolie Holland, Sinéad O'Connor, LCD Soundsystem, The National, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Angélique Kidjo, Kevin Devine, Beanie Burnett, and Anthony Braxton.
His extended saxophone techniques cover advanced circular breathing, multiphonics, altissimo, microtones, (reed) vocalisations, percussive valve-work, clicking keys, and growling. He may prepare his saxophone(s) with multiple microphones and contact mics.
His first solo album, New History Warfare, Vol. 1, was released in 2008. His second album, New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges, was released by Constellation Records in early 2011. On June 16, the album was named as a longlisted nominee (one of 40) for the 2011 Polaris Music Prize. On July 6, the album was named as a shortlisted (one of 10) nominee for the 2011 award. Stetson was chosen by Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel to perform at the All Tomorrow's Parties festival that he curated in December 2011 in Minehead, England. His latest album, New History Warfare Vol. 3: To See More Light, was released by Constellation Records in April 2013, and was named as a longlisted nominee for the 2013 Polaris Music Prize in June.
Solo albums/As leader
- Tiny Beast (2003) with Transmission Trio
- Slow Descent (2003)
- New History Warfare Vol. 1 (2007)
- Righteous Wrath 7″ (2010)
- New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges (2011)
- Those Who Didn't Run EP (2011)
- New History Warfare Vol. 3: To See More Light (2013)
Collaborations with other artists
With Arcade Fire
With Bon Iver
- Bon Iver, Bon Iver (2011)
- Metals (2011)
With Jolie Holland
- The Living and the Dead (2008)
With Timber Timbre
With Tom Waits
With TV on the Radio
- Dear Science (2008)
- Huey, Steve. "Transmission | Biography | AllMusic". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- Zel. "Colin Stetson - The History of Warfare Volume 2 - Judges". http://www.modernbarisax.com. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "2011 Polaris Music Prize Long List announced". aux.tv, June 16, 2011.
- ATP curated by Jeff Mangum