|Directed by||Martin Donovan|
|Produced by||Julien Favre, Luca Matrundola, Pascal Vaguelsy, Ted Hope|
|Written by||Martin Donovan|
|Music by||Manels Favre|
|Editing by||Karen Porter|
This Is That Productions
|Distributed by||Tribeca Film
E1 Entertainment Canada
|Running time||87 minutes|
Donovan also stars in the film, portraying a once-successful playwright, Robert Longfellow, who is taken hostage by an [ex-con] neighbor while on a routine visit to his childhood home. Two-time Emmy-nominee David Morse plays Gus (the neighbor); a man Robert has avoided since he was a boy. The film also stars Olivia Williams; Katherine Helmond and Eileen Ryan play supporting roles. As the drama unfolds, social status, celebrity and the threat of violence converge, leaving the playwright simultaneously shattered and inspired.
- Martin Donovan ... Robert Longfellow
- David Morse ... Gus
- Olivia Williams ... Emma Stiles
- Katherine Helmond ... Irene Longfellow
- Eileen Ryan ... Betty
- Julian Richings ... Maurice LeFont
Awards and nominations
- 46th Karlovy Vary International Film Festival (2011)
DViant Films and This Is That Productions produced Collaborator. The film's score was composed by Manels Favre. The soundtrack also includes a Brahms cover performed by PJ Harvey. Filming took place in Los Angeles, California, as well as Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada.
As of October 2013, the film has a 75% rating on Rotten Tomatoes from 24 reviews.
The New York Times found it "earnest" and "wooden", like a one-act play "in which any visceral tension is secondary to topical debates by a captor and his prisoner". The Los Angeles Times found it "disappointing" and "somber", failing to generate any tension from its thriller elements.
The Globe and Mail awarded it 2.5/5; Adam Litovitz criticised some stagy elements but praised the film as a study of character. The New York Post praised the performances, saying "both characters are riveting".
- "Prizes of the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival 2011". 9 July 2011.
- "‘Restoration’ wins at Karlovy Vary". Variety. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "Collaborator". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- Holden, Steven (July 5, 2012). "Collaborator (review)". New York Times.
- Goldstein, Gary (July 19, 2012). "Collaborator (Review)". LA Times. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- Litovitz, Adam (Jul 13, 2012). "A dark buddy tale for the mancession". Globe and Mail. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- Smith Nehme, Farran (July 6, 2012). "Collaborator". New York Post. Retrieved 22 October 2013.