||This article needs attention from an expert in Companies. (August 2008)|
|Industry||Web services, Advertising|
|Key people||Levy Cohen, CEO
Emil Ismalon, CTO
Collarity was co-founded in 2005 by Levy Cohen and Emil Ismalon based on the idea that data related to web user interactions with web content (sometimes referred to as passive filtering) could be used to improve search relevance, as an alternative to the historical emphasis on link analysis or explicit user feedback systems. The company was officially launched in November 2006.
Collarity's technology is focused in the area of collaborative filtering attempting to leverage anonymous implicit web user data (e.g., articles/videos searched on or clicked), as opposed to explicit metadata such as tagging or rating, with the goal of creating an information value hierarchy. The intent is for this base of behavioral knowledge to ultimately make specific information more findable for specific online audience segments.
The technology is related to currently popular notions of The Wisdom of Crowds, "harnessing collective intelligence" (a core tenet of Tim O'Reilly's original Web 2.0 definition), and "the database of intentions" (a phrase coined by John Battelle in his book The Search. ISBN 1-59184-088-0.). Collarity's technology development has been mentioned in several search innovation articles and has been highlighted in others.
In July 13, 2010, the United States Patent and Trademark Office issued to Collarity a U.S. Patent No. 7,756,855, entitled “SEARCH PHRASE REFINEMENT BY SEARCH TERM REPLACEMENT” http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7,756,855.PN.&OS=PN/7,756,855&RS=PN/7,756,855
Collarity delivers what they call an audience engagement platform enabling web publishers to guide their web visitors to relevant content based on the historical content consumption patterns of previous site customer segments. The platform also enables web publishers to dynamically target advertising based on how specific site segments have responded to ads in the past.
- Collaborative Filtering
- Collective Intelligence
- Implicit Web
- Personalized marketing
- Recommendation system
- Social Search
- Collarity Unveiled: Wisdom Of the Crowd by PetePrestipino, Website Magazine, November 7, 2006.
- Search Engines Seek to Get Inside Your Head - Google, Others Start to Comb Users' Online Habits to Tailor Results to Personal Interests by Jessica E. Vacellaro and Kevin J. Delaney, Wall Street Journal, April 25, 2007.
- The Ultimate Search Engine by J. Nicholas Hoover, InformationWeek, August 4, 2007.
- Google's Marissa Mayer Looks Beyond Universal Search to Social Search by Kevin Newcomb, SearchEngineWatch, January 31, 2008.
- Collarity Relevance Engine by Phil Bradley, SearchEngineWatch, November 8, 2006.
- Melissa L. Rethlefsen looks at social search engines, where search is heading, and what it means for librarians by Melissa L. Rethlefsen, Library Journal, April 15, 2007.
- Get Born - There are plenty of ways to get lost on the Web, but how do you break through? by Susan Kuchinskas, OMMA Magazine, March 2008.
- Behind-the-Scenes Innovations in Behavioral Targeting by Elyse Tager, ClickZ, May 14, 2008.