Colleen playing in a gig at the Lomax (Catania, Sicily)
|Birth name||Cécile Schott|
|Also known as||Colleen|
|Labels||The Leaf Label|
Cécile Schott began making music under the name 'Colleen' in 2001, after a friend gave her a CD-R containing ACID Pro music production software. Samples were a common part of her early work and in summer 2003 the debut album Everyone Alive Wants Answers was released. It was notable for its heavy use of looped samples, which were taken from records in her collection and heavily modified. The album was critically well received and drew enough attention to warrant touring. During live shows, Schott would replicate the sounds from the album using acoustic instruments played through pedals as she thought the idea of using a laptop live was uninspiring.
This approach using live physical instruments led to the 2005 follow-up, The Golden Morning Breaks, which retained the looped style present in earlier work but was something of a departure from the sampled setting of Everyone Alive Wants Answers. Instead the album consisted almost entirely of natural, non-synthetic sounds, an approach Schott has stated in interviews that she prefers.
In January 2006 Schott released a live album as part of the Staalplaat label's series of live performances, called Mort Aux Vaches (meaning 'Death to Cows'). A second 2006 release in October, a 14-track EP called Colleen et les Boîtes à Musique ('Colleen and the Music Boxes'), was composed entirely using music boxes.
Les Ondes Silencieuses ('The Silent Waves'), Colleen's third full-length album, was released on May 21, 2007. A slight evolution in sound was again heard on the album, as Schott adopted a more free-form approach in place of the use of loops that were so apparent in much of her prior output.
- Everyone Alive Wants Answers – June 30, 2003 – The Leaf Label
- The Golden Morning Breaks – May 23, 2005 – The Leaf Label
- Mort Aux Vaches – January 25, 2006 – Staalplaat – Live album, limited to 500 copies.
- Les Ondes Silencieuses – May 21, 2007 – The Leaf Label
- The Weighing Of The Heart – May 13, 2013 – Second Language Music
- Captain of None - April 6, 2015 - Thrill Jockey
From Everyone Alive Wants Answers:
- "Babies" – 2002 – Active Suspension
- She was an English teacher in Poissy (lycée Charles de Gaulle) until she resigned in 2007.
- Biographies and discographies
- Colleen (musician) at AllMusic
- Colleen (musician) discography at Discogs
- Colleen discography at MusicBrainz