|Occupation||screenwriter, playwright, film director|
|Notable works||Termini Station, The December Man, Beating Heart Cadaver|
|Spouse||Allan King (1987-2009)|
Colleen Murphy (born 1954 in Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec) is a Canadian screenwriter, film director and playwright. She is best known for works including her plays The December Man, which won the Governor General's Award for English-language drama at the 2007 Governor General's Awards, and Beating Heart Cadaver, which was a shortlisted nominee for the same award at the 1999 Governor General's Awards, and the film Termini Station, for which she garnered a Genie Award nomination for Best Original Screenplay at the 11th Genie Awards.
Murphy was a student at the Canadian Film Centre in the 1990s, and has also directed numerous films, both short films and feature films. Her first feature film as a director, Shoemaker, received two prizes from the Mannheim-Heidelberg Film Festival, and garnered two acting nominations at the 18th Genie Awards. Her second feature film, Desire, also garnered two acting nominations at the 22nd Genie Awards.
She has served as playwright in residence at a variety of institutions, including the Factory Theatre in Toronto, Ontario; the Citadel Theatre in Edmonton, Alberta; the Finborough Theatre in London, England and the University of Guelph. She was named playwright in residence at the University of Alberta's theatre department in June 2014.
- Termini Station (1989)
- Putty Worm (1993)
- The Feeler (1995)
- Shoemaker (1996)
- Desire (2000)
- War Holes (2002)
- Girl with Dog (2005)
- Out in the Cold (2008)
- Fire Engine Red (1985)
- All Other Destinations Are Cancelled (1987)
- Pumpkin Eaters (1990)
- Down in Adoration Falling (1994)
- Beating Heart Cadaver (1998)
- The Piper (2002)
- The December Man (2007)
- The Goodnight Bird (2011)
- Pig Girl (2012)
- Armstrong's War (2013)
- Haig-King Film Arts Ltd. fonds at Library and Archives Canada.
- "On Writing, with Colleen Murphy". Open Book Toronto, March 19, 2013.
- "Playwright Colleen Murphy Is Writer-in-Residence". University of Guelph, October 5, 2011.
- "University names Colleen Murphy to playwright post". Edmonton Journal, June 27, 2014.
- "Canadian documentary maker Allan King dies at 79". CBC News, June 15, 2009.