College of Engineering and Technology, Bhubaneswar
|College of Engineering and Technology Bhubaneswar|
|Principal||Dr. Prof. Shakti Prasad Mohanty|
|Location||Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India|
|Campus||Urban, 107.8 acres (0.4363 km2)|
|Colors||White and Blue|
The College of Engineering and Technology, Bhubaneswar (CETB) is a public engineering institution in Odisha, India. Established in 1981, by the Government of Odisha (then Orissa) it became a constituent college of the Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology. Since 2002, CET Bhubaneswar is a constituent college of Biju Patnaik University of Technology (BPUT). The college campus covers 107.8 acres (0.4363 km2). The old campus now serves as the architecture department.
The college provides 4 year Bachelor of Technology degrees in 10 disciplines of engineering: Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Instrumentation and Electronics, Textile, Self Sustaining Courses - Computer Science, Information Technology , Biotechnology, Fashion & Apparel Technology, and a 5 year Bachelor of Architecture degree. It offers a three-year Master of Computer Applications programme.
The institute conducts 8 M.Tech. courses in Nanobiotechnology, VLSI& Embedded Systems,Mechanical System Design & Dynamics,Structural Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Management, Computer Science and Engineering, and Information Technology and an M.Arch course. The college has plans in the pipeline that create planning and design courses.
Eight departments conduct Ph.D programmes. A three-year B.Tech degree for diploma holders as lateral entries is also offered. All courses are full time.
Each academic year consists of two semesters and a summer term. The education system is organised around a credit system, which ensures continuous evaluation of a student's performance and provides flexibility to choose courses to suit the student's ability or convenience. Each course is assigned credits depending upon the class hours.
CET is the home to
Centre for Micro Electronics, Centre for Mechanics, Centre for Nanobiotechnology, Modrob project centre
The college is a participant in TEQIP I and TEQIP II, programe of Government of India
Admissions and examinations
B. Tech. and MCA admission to undergraduate degrees is made through a joint entrance examination conducted each year by the Government of Odisha. Registration is required at the beginning of each semester. Students are allowed to appear for examination for registered courses only, and should consult with the respective department heads for guidance before registration. Students are eligible to appear for examinations provided they attend a minimum of 75 per cent of their theory, practical, and sessional classes scheduled during the semester.
- "Xtasy" is the college's cultural extravaganza, held each January. This was first started in April 1992 in the form of a techno-cultural convention as X-TASY '92.
- "CETMUN" is the annual MODEL UNITED NATIONS which is recognised by the United Nations Information Centre for India and Bhutan and organised by CETADEL.
- "SAnniNDHYA" is the annual technical- Department event of Civil Engineering Department
- "Perceptions" is the annual technical meet.
- The college organizes an annual athletics meet and the Engineers Cup Inter-college cricket,football,volleyball,badminton,basketball tournament in December–January.
- "CETADEL" is the official literary, intellectual, and creative society. It provides an incubation for free thought and open acceptance of constructive vision. It also conducts events in quizzing, writing, jamming, debating and runs a think tank, Ravinder Kaushik Centre for Policy Research (and security studies). It publishes the annual college magazine, The Engineering Herald.
- VoiX, the debating wing
- "Zairza" is the official technical society, initiated by students. Founded in the 2005–2006 school year with Software and Manual robotics as the two main wings, it was made an official event by the college Administration in 2007 with addition of Automated robotics.
- Energy club is the official club dealing in Energy Conservation & Power Optimization under the Dept. of Electrical Engineering.
- "The Amuza" is the dramatics society of CET, student-actors of cet have excelled and been covered by the print media.
- Appregio is the music club dealing in vocals, instruments & sound production.
- The college rock bands, Irish Chants, Shabd perform across the state.
- The college also has a SAE chapter , just rolling.
- The ISTE chapter is the largest in Odisha.
- The E-Cell has been instrumental in the startups of students of CET, like Joylab, Brokenscooter.com, NowFloats and many others.
- National Service Scheme
- Encore, the dance club.
The campus covers the entire Techno-Campus plot, and is 1.9 km from NH 5. Despite being in an urban location it is a noise free zone surrounded by the training school of forest rangers and Bhubaneswar Drinking Water Supply Project Water Storage. Close by is Jaydev Vatika ,a 200+ acre public park(1.5km) and AMRI Hospital(1.5 km). SUM Hospital and blood bank is 2.5 km(main gate to main gate on road) A portion of a hill also falls within the campus. Bus no. 333 connects the college to most of the places within the city including railway station, main bus stands and Lingaraja Temple.
There are 2 canteens serving delicacies, 3 fast food shops and a shopping complex.
There are independent full sized playgrounds for Cricket and Football and courts for basketball, badminton, volleyball and tennis. The students square at the centre of academic blocks has a stage facility. There is a Syndicate Bank branch and a BSNL telecom tower on campus.
The college Gym has fairly good number of equipment. The reading room subscribes 10 newspapers , national , international journals,and numerous magazines. Supplementing it is the central computer laboratory with high speed fibre optic internet with speeds up to 10 Mbps for academic purposes only.
Classes for most start at 0800 in the morning, and by 1350 are over for all. in between there is a free period of 50 minutes. Students can utilize the rest of the day for various pursuits, clubs ,societies, learn to play an instrument or learn a language. By 1630 all those who have sporting interests are on the playgrounds.
The college also provides outgoing shuttle bus every day at 1530. For medical needs college arranges for student to be taken to hospital.
There is an SBI ATM near the campus.
Students actively take part in training and internship activities. Many students have gone ahead for paid internships after first year itself.Students have benfited from MSME (Govt. of India) trainings at CTTC (Central Tool Room & Training Centre). At present CET students are interning at Tata Steel, Steel Authority of India (SAIL) - Rourkela Steel Plant, National Aluminium Company (NALCO), Defence Research and Development Organisation(DRDO) labs, Indian Railways, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL), VentureHire (Bangalore), Neelachal Ispat Nigam Limited (NINL), Vedanta Resources,Dalmia Cements(Rajgangpur), Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Army Base Workshop, Bharat Heavy Electrical limited etc.
The college has year on year excellent placements.In the placement season 2012-13, the highest compensation had been Rs 16 lakhs per annum(lpa) offered to 8 students by Reverside ,a South African firm.Tata steel has offered 8 lpa, FCS 5.5 lpa, Maruti Suzuki 4.8 lpa ,paradeep phosphates 4 lpa....
In 2012, Tata Steel offered 8.4 lpa, Ashok Leyland 7.2 lpa, NINL(MMTC) 6 lpa, Jindal & Aspiring Minds in excess of 5 lpa. Deloitte,Maruti Suzuki, Tata Cummins & Sesa Goa offered 4.6 to 5 lpa.
Software Companies: TCS, Frontline Consultancy Services (FCS), Hewlett Packard (HP), Mindtree, Mindfire Solution, HCL, Accenture, Wipro, Wipro VLSI, Deloitte, iGate Patni, Aspiring Minds, Capgemini, Reverside Software Solution, CSC, Expo Nethawk, Kalinga Soft, and DJAB Networks.
Core Companies: Maruti Suzuki India Ltd, Ashok Leyland, Honda Motors, AMW, Tata Steel, Hindustan Coca Cola Beverages, Tata Power, Jindal Steel Limited, L&T ECC, L&T IES, Essel Mining, Adani Power, Tata Cummins, Shapoorji Pallonji Group, OCL, Ramky Infra Ltd, Vedanta, Nilachal Ispat nigam Ltd, Sesa Goa, Paradeep Phosphates Limited, Megha Infrastructure, Afcons Infra, and Petron Engineering.
Other Companies: Coca Cola,Brandix, Mayan (Gitanjali), Bombay Rayon Fashion Ltd, Vardhman, Pradan, Welspun India Ltd, Alok Industries, Nagarjuna, JK Paper Limited, CCCL, Pradan (NGO), CPC Diagnos, Talent Beat, Vyom Labs, Indo US MIM, ITDC, and RSBI Design.
Most students of CET, avail some or the other scholarship. A large number of them are beneficiaries of the CAFAS scholarship scheme which provides INR 10,000 annually. Top 20% students of every class are awarded CET merit scholarship of INR 400 per month. There also exists the Alumni scholarship, and FFE, Vikas (funded by NRIs)scholarship worth INR 25000 and also otrher Merit-cum-Need scholarships. There are also several scholarships from the SC& ST development department of state government (INR 25000- INR 50000) and scholarships from the district administration.
The college is a constituent college of BPUT, and works as the university's nerve centre. There is an on campus university office. It is proposed to elevate the college as Samanta Chandra Shekhar University of Technology (SCSUT) or Bhubaneswar Technological University.
Achievements of CET family
Some of the students honors are :-
- All India Rank 1 among girls in CAT 2012 99.99 percentile.
- GATE 2013 rank 12,36,54.
- Second year student presented research paper in China, Nikita Choudhary(Department of Textile Engineering),on August 2013