Bangladesh University of Textiles
|Bangladesh University of Textiles|
|Bengali: বাংলাদেশ টেক্সটাইল বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়|
|Motto||Knowledge is power|
|Established||1921: East Bengal Textile Institute
1950: East Pakistan Textile Institute
1978: College of Textile Engineering and Technology under the Faculty of Engineering, University of Dhaka
2010: Upgraded to University
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Nitai Chandra Sutradhar|
|Location||Tejgaon Industrial Area, Dhaka|
|Campus||Urban, 11.67 acres|
Bangladesh University of Textiles (Bengali: বাংলাদেশ টেক্সটাইল বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় Bangladesh Textile Bishshobiddalôe) (informally known as Textile University or simply as BUTex), is the first-ever and only public university in Bangladesh specializing in Textile Engineering.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Honour and University Gold Medal
- 4 Library
- 5 Research & Consultancy
- 6 Student's Welfare
- 7 Workshop and laboratory
- 8 Career prospects
- 9 Student Life
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Bangladesh Textile University is the only university in Bangladesh that specializes in textiles. It meets the need for textile engineering and technology education in Bangladesh and around the world.
During the British colonial rule in 1921 a weaving school was established in Narinda, Dhaka to provide textile technician education by offering artisan-level courses. It was named East Bengal Textile Institute, which was upgraded to offer diploma courses in textile technology and renamed East Pakistan Textile Institute in 1950. In 1960, the institute was transferred to its present campus at Tejgaon Industrial Area. In 1978 the institute launched a four-year bachelor degree in Textile Technology by affiliation with the University of Dhaka and was renamed College of Textile Technology. It was declared as a university in 2010 by passing an act called Bangladesh University of Textiles Act and inaugurated on March 15, 2011.
Faculties and Departments
- Faculty of Textile Manufacturing Engineering
- Department of Yarn Manufacturing Engineering (YME)
- Department of Fabric Manufacturing Engineering (FME)
- Faculty of Textile Chemical Processing Engineering and Applied Science
- Department of Wet Processing Engineering
- Department of Applied Science
- Department of Allied Engineering
- Faculty of Textile Clothing, Fashion Design and Business Studies
- Department of Apparel Manufacturing Engineering
- Department of Textile Management
- Department of Textile Fashion and Design
Under Graduate Courses
|1||B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Yarn Manufacturing)||80|
|2||B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Fabric Manufacturing)||80|
|3||B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Wet Processing)||80|
|4||B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Apparel Manufacturing)||80|
|5||B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Management & Business Studies)||60|
|6||B.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Fashion and Design)||30|
Post Graduate Courses
|1||M.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Yarn Manufacturing)||15|
|2||M.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Fabric Manufacturing)||15|
|3||M.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Wet Processing)||15|
|4||M.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Apparel Manufacturing)||15|
|5||M.Sc. in Textile Engineering (Management & Business Studies)||15|
MBA in Textiles
|1||MBA in Textiles (Management & Business Studies)||50|
Approximately 1350 students are enrolled, of which around 15% are female.
Since the introduction of the degree program about 2,500 students have passed the B.Sc. in Textile Technology from the institution.
Admission Procedure and Entry Requirement
- For Undergraduate courses
Admission to the Bangladesh University of Textiles is highly competitive and needs a high academic attainment at the SSC and HSC level. Selection of the student for admission is made through admission test of 200 marks and considering GPA of SSC and HSC (Details in admission notice). Students get chance to take admission according to merit.
The entry requirements for admission test are:
Students must be Bangladeshi by birth or legal immigration.
SSC or equivalent examination Passed from Science group and must obtaining 4.00 (without 4th subject) from any Board of Secondary & Higher Secondary Education Board.
HSC or equivalent examination Passed from Science group of current academic year and must obtaining 4.00 (without 4th subject) and at least total GP 13.00 but individually not below grade point 3.50 in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- For Post-graduate Courses (M.Sc. in Textile Engineering)
Post-graduate (M.Sc. in Textile Engineering) admission started from the session 2012-13 in Bangladesh University of Textiles, which is also highly competitive and needs at least a 1st Class in B. Sc. in Textile Engineering from any recognized University (Public/Private). Selection of the student for admission is made through admission test of 100 mark (Details in admission notice). Students get chance to take admission according to merit.
- For Post-graduate Courses (MBA in Textiles)
Post-graduate (MBA in Textiles) admission started from the session 2012-13 in Bangladesh University of Textiles, which is also highly competitive and needs at least a 1st Class in B. Sc. in Textile Engineering from any recognized University (Public/Private) with at least 9 (nine) points through SSC to M.Sc. Selection of the student for admission is made through admission test (Details in admission notice). Students get chance to take admission according to merit.
- Admission of foreign students
Foreign students must apply to the Ministry of Education, Govt. of Bangladesh through Bangladesh embassies located in their own country.
- Academic year and medium of instruction
The academic session begins on 1 July and ends on 30 June. The medium of instruction is English.
The academic year consists of two semesters. Academic courses are based on credit system. The grading system:
|Class Interval||Letter Grade||Grade Point|
Honour and University Gold Medal
Students are awarded the degree with [Honours] if he/she obtained cumulative GPA 3.75 or above.
University Gold Medal
[University Gold Medal] is awarded to the students who secure the 1st position with cumulative GPA not below 3.75 in each Department.
The University has a very rich collection of about 1,50,000 books and journals. These books and journal include both technical and non-technical books. The library is open in every working day from 9.00 AM to 2.00 PM. Library access is open to all but only teacher, student and staff of the university can lend book.
Research & Consultancy
The university offers a large range of consultancies focusing on the industry need. It allows testing, suggestion, research and upgradation of any textile raw materials or machineries. Mechanical Instruments and textile automation related testing and support is also provided with high quality assurance. The university has a decade old fame for providing textile industry with solutions and technical support.
Bangladesh University of Textiles run a strong Students' Welfare Council that aims to protect students' right as well as helps the authority to form a well organized pupil campus. The council is responsible for raising students' awareness towards their responsibilities, control any unwanted incident and help students build their career as industry leaders.
Workshop and laboratory
School workshop and laboratories are:
- The Yarn Manufacturing Laboratory provides knowledge of yarn preparing technology both short staple (cotton) and long staple (jute). The laboratory facilities includes conventional and modern machinery with new technology like open-end spinning and air-jet spinning.
- The Fabric Manufacturing Laboratory has facilities for weaving cotton, synthetic and jute fabric including tappet, dobby and jacquard loom, hand operated loom, ordinary power loom, automatic power loom and modern loom with CAD system. Modern looms include air-jet loom, rapier loom with electronic jacquard, projectile looms.
- The Knitting Laboratory is equipped with warp and weft knitting machinery. Warp knitting machinery includes raschel and tricot machines and weft knitting machines include circular (single jersey, interlock, rib, jacquard) and flat knitting machines.
- The Wet Processing Laboratory includes machinery for singeing, desizing, mercerizing, dyeing, printing and finishing. The laboratory can dye material as fibre, yarn and fabric form and style of printing. The laboratory has a computerized data colour system, gas chromatography and mass spectrophotometer, light fastness and other quality control equipment required to ensure dyeing and finishing quality, and light fastness.
- The The Apparel Manufacturing Laboratory is equipped with cutting, sewing and finishing machinery used in garments industry. The laboratory is equipped with Lectra CAD-CAM system for computerized marker making and cutting and garments dyeing, washing and embroidery machine.
- The Testing Laboratory can test fibre, yarn and fabric. The laboratory has testing machines including evenness testing, Classimat, single yarn strength tester, multifunctional Superba tester, HFT and electronic microscope.
- The Computer Laboratory provides a facility for 40 students at a time. There are facilities to use the internet for teachers and students.
- The Electronic Laboratory is also equipped with pneumatic and electro-pneumatic control systems.
- The Physics Laboratory is equipped with machinery and equipment for graduate students.
- The Chemistry Laboratory provides for 40 students at a time.
- The Mechanical Engineering Workshop has lathes, universal strength tester, shaping machine, cutting machine, drill machine, welding machine, circular saw, tools for carpentry and many other common mechines.
The majority of the universities textile graduates take posts in the textile manufacturing industry as process or plant managers, development engineers or technologists. Graduates have found employment in production management, design, textile testing and quality assurance, new product development, buying house, commercial banks, customs, etc.A large number of BUTex alumni are working in the industry and academia both in Bangladesh and outside Bangladesh.
Halls Of Residence
There are three residence halls to provide housing for BUTex students. Administrative head of a residence hall is its provost. The Sheikh Hasina Hall is for female students, and the remaining two halls are for male students studying in the undergraduate level. The halls are named after eminent figures (except Sheikh Hasina) in the history of Bangladesh. These are listed below:
- G M A G Osmani Hall
- Shahid Aziz Hall
- Sheikh Hasina Hall
- Badhan (A Voluntary Blood Donors Organization), BUTex unit
- Ekattor cultural club
- Phathik BUTex
- ExCa BUTex
- BUTex Drama Society
- BUTex Film Society
- BUTex Journalist Society
- BUTex Chess Club
- BUTex Photographic Society
- BUTex Bondhushova
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET)
- Khulna University of Engineering and Technology (KUET)
- Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology (RUET)
- Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology (CUET)
- Islamic University of Technology (IUT)
- Official website of Bangladesh University Of Textiles
- Textile Based Magazine
- PM opens first textile university