Collegio San Giuseppe - Istituto De Merode
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (July 2013)|
The Collegio S. Giuseppe-Istituto de Mérode is a Catholic school of the Brothers of the Christian Schools located in Rome in via San Sebastianello 1 at the corner of Piazza di Spagna, in the rione Campo Marzio. It comprises two buildings, the Collegio S. Giuseppe (that occupies the ancient Albergo Serny) and the Istituto de Mérode (built in 1900). The Collegio S. Giuseppe-Istituto de Mérode includes primary school, middle school and high school (Liceo Classico and Scientifico).
The congregation of the Brothers of the Christian Schools was founded by Jean-Baptiste de La Salle in the 17th century. The Collegio S. Giuseppe was founded in 1850 as the “Ecole Française” at Palazzo Poli at the Trevi Fountain. It was relocated to its current location between via Alibert and via San Sebastianello near Piazza di Spagna in 1885. The de Mérode was founded in 1871 by Mons. Xavier de Mérode at Palazzo Altemps. It was moved to the current location in 1903. The two Institutes were joined in 1929.
Roman dialect poet Carlo Alberto Salustri, known as Trilussa, was a pupil of the school from 1880 to 1886, first in the original location of Palazzo Poli at the Trevi Fountain and then at the current location of piazza di Spagna where the school was relocated in 1885. Trilussa remained close to the school and its alumni community.
Following the deportation of Jews by German troops on October 16, 1943, the Institute, like other Roman Catholic schools, hid numerous Jewish children and adults among its students and Brothers.
- Carlo Alberto Salustri, Trilussa: from 1880 to 1886
- Pietro Calabrese (sports journalist): graduated in 1963
- Giorgio Lainati (journalist and politician): graduated in 1976
- Giovanni Malagò (businessman and sports personality) in 1978
- Daniele Capezzone (politician): graduated in 1991
- Noemi (singer): graduated in 2001
- http://www.sangiuseppedemerode.it/pdf/annuario/Piazza%20di%20spagna%202009-2010.pdf. Missing or empty
- "Stella Azzurra Roma".
- http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubblica/archivio/repubblica/2008/10/07/cosi-la-portinaia-autorina-salvo-noi-ebrei.html. Missing or empty
- http://roma.corriere.it/roma/notizie/cronaca/12_novembre_10/napolitano-libro-walters-roma-occupazione-tedesca-2112646334181.shtml. Missing or empty
- "La storia del Collegio San Giuseppe - Istituto De Merode".
- http://www.quirinale.it/elementi/Onorificenze.aspx?pag=0&qIdOnorificenza=&cognome=de%20merode&nome=&daAnno=1800&aAnno=2013&luogoNascita=&testo=&ordinamento=2. Missing or empty
- "Collegio San Giuseppe - Istituto De Merode: le immagini, la memoria, i sentimenti".