Collinsville High School
|Collinsville High School|
|2201 South Morrison
Collinsville, Illinois, 62234
|School district||Collinsville Community Unit 10|
|Superintendent||Dr. Robert Green|
|Average class size||19.9|
|Fight song||Indian Trail|
|Athletics conference||Southwestern Conference|
|Average ACT scores||19.9|
Collinsville High School (CHS) is a four-year comprehensive public high school in the Collinsville Community Unit School District 10. In 2011, Collinsville High School had an enrollment of 1,985 students.
In 2008, 84.2% of the senior class graduated, posting an average ACT score of 19.9. Based on scores earned on the Prairie State Achievement Examination, Collinsville High School is not achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) in meeting the requirements of the federal No Child Left Behind Act. The school, overall, is not making AYP in reading and mathematics. One student subgroup is not making AYP in reading. The school is on year three of Academic Watch.
The school sponsors interscholastic athletic teams for young men and women in basketball, bowling, cross country, golf, soccer, tennis, and track & field. Young men may also compete in baseball, football, and wrestling, while young women may also compete in cheerleading, softball, and volleyball. While not sponsored by the IHSA, the school also sponsors a Marching Band and dance team.
The following teams have finished in the top four of their respective IHSA sponsored state tournaments or meets:
- Baseball: 2nd place (1982–83); State Champions (1940–41, 79–80)
- Basketball (boys): 4th place (1949–50); 3rd place (1936–37, 77–78); 2nd place (1956–57); State Champions (1960–61, 64–65)
- Bowling (boys): 4th place (2008–09); 3rd place (2002–03); 2nd place (1997–98, 98-99)
- Bowling (girls): 3rd place (2008–09); 2nd place (2005–06) 1st place (2009-2010)
- Soccer (boys): 3rd place (1993–94); 2nd place (1985–86, 96–97); State Champions (1981–82, 86–87, 91–92, 92–93)
- Soccer (girls): 4th place (1987–88)
- Volleyball (girls): 4th place (1979–80)
- Dance Team (girls): 2nd Place (1998), 3rd Place (2006); State Champions (2007-2009, 2011)
- Marching Band: 3rd place at Tiger Ambush Classic (2011); 1st place at prelims, 10th place in Finals, and best general effect at Lafayette Contest of Champions (2011); 1st place in 3A, Best Music, Best Visual, Outstanding General Effect, Best Percussion, Best Color Guard, And Grand Championships of class 1A, 2A, and 3A at McKendree Preview of Champions (2011); 1st place Blue Division, Outstanding Music, and Outstanding Visual at Greater St. Louis Marching Festival. (2011); 2nd Place VP Fair Parade (2012); 3rd place O'Fallon Township High School Metro East Marching Classic participating in class AA. (2012); 1st place in 3A, Best Music, Best Visual, Outstanding General Effect, Best Percussion, Best Color Guard, And Grand Championships of class 1A, 2A, and 3A at McKendree Preview of Champions (2012) First Place, Best Visual at the Veiled Prophet Parade (2013), First Place class 4A, Best Percussion, Best Visual, Best General Effect, Best Color Guard (of the day) at the McKendree Preview of Champions (2013), 4th Place in Class AAA at Bands of America Grand Nationals (2013)
- Winter Percussion Ensemble: 1st place MCCGA championships Scholastic B Class (2011), 3rd place MCCGA championships Scholastic A Class (2012)
- Winter Percussion Ensemble: 3rd place MCCGA championships Scholastic A Class
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (December 2013)|
- Hoot Evers - Former MLB player (Detroit Tigers, Boston Red Sox, New York Giants, Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Indians)
- Charlie Kraak - basketball player (Indiana University)
- Harry Parker - Former MLB player (St. Louis Cardinals, New York Mets, Cleveland Indians)
- Michael Stipe - lead singer of the band R.E.M.
- John Shimkus (R) - member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Tom Jager - Olympic gold medalist (swimming)
- Ken Oberkfell - former Major League Baseball Player
- George Musso - NFL Hall of Famer (inducted 1982)
- Art Fletcher - former Major League baseball player
- Tom Parker - former basketball player, University of Kentucky
- Kevin Stallings - head basketball coach, Vanderbilt University
- Joe Reiniger - former soccer player for the St. Louis Ambush, Milwaukee Wave and St. Louis Steamers and current player for the St. Louis Illusion
- Terry Moore, center fielder for the St. Louis Cardinals
- Richard Mark, President and CEO, Ameren UE
- Rear Admiral William D. Baumgartner, United States Coast Guard
- Rick George, President, Texas Rangers
- Kaitlyn Auer, writer of The Year of the Champions (Based on the 2011 Marching Kahoks story)
- "Illinois School Report Card for Collinsville High School". Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE). Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- School information for CHS; ihsa.org; accessed 4 September 2009
- "Collinsville High School Athletic Department". Collinsville High School. Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- "Season summaries for Collinsville High School". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). Retrieved 3 September 2009.