Location of Collinwood, Tennessee
|• Total||2.8 sq mi (7.2 km2)|
|• Land||2.8 sq mi (7.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,060 ft (323 m)|
|• Density||365.9/sq mi (141.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1269482|
|Website||City of Collinwood http://www.cityofcollinwood.org/|
Collinwood is located at (35.170153, -87.742731).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.8 square miles (7.3 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,024 people, 428 households, and 297 families residing in the city. The population density was 365.9 people per square mile (141.2/km²). There were 473 housing units at an average density of 169.0 per square mile (65.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.24% White, 0.20% Native American, 0.10% Asian, 0.88% from other races, and 0.59% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.56% of the population.
There were 428 households out of which 30.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.8% were married couples living together, 13.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.6% were non-families. 27.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.7% under the age of 18, 10.9% from 18 to 24, 26.4% from 25 to 44, 25.1% from 45 to 64, and 13.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 88.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $22,305, and the median income for a family was $31,296. Males had a median income of $30,052 versus $18,269 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,716. About 10.4% of families and 16.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.2% of those under age 18 and 21.2% of those age 65 or over.
Businesses/places of interest
- Ralph M. Hughes Memorial Park
- Collinwood City Park—Also known as Dixie Youth Park (Swimming, Tennis, and Baseball)
- Wayne County Welcome Center
- Collinwood Depot Library/Museum
- The Natchez Trace Parkway
- Roadhouse Express
- Dollar General
- Piggly Wiggly
- Long Green Super Saver
- GG's Market
This is an incomplete list of churches located in the city of Collinwood.
- Cornerstone Church of Collinwood - 861 Dogwood Flats Rd - 931-724-4220- Church
- Collinwood Church of God - 205 1st Ave. North - 931-724-9402-Church, 931-724-4859-Parsonage
- Collinwood Church of Christ - 101 4th Ave. North
- Collinwood United Methodist Church
- Collinwood High
- Collinwood Middle
- Collinwood Elementary
There are also some Columbia State Community College classes at Collinwood High School.
- Hassell and Hughes website - http://www.hassellandhughes.com
- Dixie Handle Company
- Brewer Wholesale foods
Highways and parkways
- FM 94.9 WMSR-FM
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing: Decennial Censuses". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.