Colombo Port City
|Colombo Port City|
An artist’s impression of the proposed port city at Galle Face
|• Total||2.33 km2 (0.90 sq mi)|
|Time zone||Sri Lanka Standard Time (UTC+05:30)|
Colombo Port City is a proposed offshore city in Colombo, Sri Lanka which is planned to be built on reclaimed land adjacent to the Galle Face Green. The city will use construction resources from the Colombo Harbour Expansion Project, currently under construction near the site of this proposed city.
The Port city is to be constructed between the Southern edge of the new Colombo South Port and the Fort Lighthouse. The total area of sea to be reclaimed is 450 acres.
The construction was set to begin in March 2011 but due to several circumstances the project was stopped. Mid 2012, Sri Lankan Port Authority better known as SLPA announced that the construction of the Colombo Port City project commenced on 17 September 2014. The budget is estimated to be US$ 15 billion.
The reclamation will be carried out by China Harbor Engineering Corporation, who has been engaged by the investor. The investor itself is expected put in another 2.5 billion US dollars into developing land received. The balance will be sold on 99-year leases to potential investors.
The constructions of the port city is expected to be finished in 39 months, after starting in September 2014.
According to sources, the project will approximately reclaim around 230 hectares which will be funded by a foreign investor. The plan has been given approval by the Standing Cabinet Appointed Review Committee (SCARC) and the port city will include roads, water, electricity, communication facilities to set up shopping areas, water sports area, mini golf course, hotels, apartments, recreation areas and also marinas.
Master Divers was given the contract to forward a soil report for this project which in turn was handed over to the Chinese company to go ahead with construction. Chairman of Master Divers, Ariyaseela Wickramanayake said that they had conducted under water surveys and other tests to identify the site for the project and the construction of the artificial island has began.
Construction of the Colombo Port City began on 17 September 2014
Formula One track
The New Port City is to include a new Formula One track, constructed in the vicinity of the Colombo Harbour. According to Dr. Priyath Wickrama, the Chairman of the Sri Lanka Ports Authority, says an F1 track will “definitely” be a part of the New Port City. The circuit is to be located in the city whilst allowing for maximum leeway for commercial activities.
- "Hydraulic experts endorse feasibility of Galle Face Commercial City". Sundaytimes.lk. Retrieved 2014-05-02.
- "Port City". Lankabusinessonline.com. 2010-06-28. Retrieved 2014-05-02.
- "Formula One Track To Be Built On Planned ‘New Port City’ Colombo". Thesundayleader.lk. Retrieved 2014-05-02.
- Gamini Gunaratna, Sri Lanka News Paper by LankaPage.com (LLC)- Latest Hot News from Sri Lanka (2012-07-30). "Construction of Sri Lanka's port city to begin later this year". Colombopage.com. Retrieved 2014-05-02.
- by Redbulls on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:34 pm (2012-07-10). "Sri Lanka targets US$15bn into Colombo 'Port City'". Forum.srilankaequity.com. Retrieved 2014-05-02.
- Thursday, January 16, 2014 (All day) (2014-01-16). "Historic artificial island project begins". Dailynews.lk. Retrieved 2014-05-02.