Colonel Gray High School
|Colonel Gray Senior High School|
Whatever is True
|175 Spring Park Road
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A 3Y8, Canada
|School board||English Language School Board|
|Vice principal||Dale Cole
|School type||Public High school|
|Team name||Colonel Gray Colonels|
|Colours||Burgundy and Grey|
Colonel Gray Sr. High School (CGHS), colloquially referred to as "The Gray", is a Canadian secondary school in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Its zone includes students from the central parts of Queens County, in the City of Charlottetown.
The school is administratively part of the English Language School Board. Its official colours are Maroon and Gray and the mascot is a Colonel. The sports teams from "The Gray" are called the Colonel Gray Colonels.
- 1 History and characteristics
- 2 Facilities
- 3 School Sports
- 4 Clubs and Organizations at Colonel Gray
- 5 Notable alumni
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
History and characteristics
- In 1966 Colonel Gray opened, named after Colonel John Hamilton Gray, former Premier of Prince Edward Island (1863–1865) and chairman of the Confederation conference of 1864.
- In 2008, Colonel Gray was one of three Island schools, and one of ten Canadian schools, to receive a $40,000 HP grant to improve teaching by using technology. The grant was used to enhance teaching math and science at The Gray. HP is committed to innovative educators who are transforming teaching and learning through the effective use of technology.
- In 2009, Colonel Gray High School became an IB World School offering the IB Diploma Programme to students.
IB Subjects Offered:
- Biology Higher Level
- English A1 Higher Level
- History Higher Level
- Chemistry Standard Level
- French B Standard Level
- French Ab Initio Standard Level
- Math Standard Level
- Visual Arts Standard Level
The school has 80 staff members who offer instruction in grades 10, 11 and 12 for approximately 1000 students. The high school offers both French and English language instruction and the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.
- Over one hundred classrooms most of which contain Smart Boards
- A chemistry lab
- A biology lab
- An automotive shop
- A carpentry shop
- A Student Council office for Student Event planning
- A kitchen which is used to supply lots of in-school events or public speakers or organizations who want to visit the high school
- A lecture theatre
- Four computer labs
- A library
- A gymnasium with a weight room
- Specialist instruction space
Sports at Colonel Gray Today
Colonel Gray is home to many sports. Colonel Gray has fields for the following sports: field hockey, soccer/rugby and softball. The fields are shared with Simmons Sports Arena and Queen Charlotte Intermediate School which are both within walking distance. The school is also within walking distance of the Victoria Park tennis courts, outdoor pool, and baseball fields.
Sports offered at Colonel Gray include:
- boys and girls basketball
- boys and girls rugby
- boys and girls soccer
- boys and girls track and field
- boys and girls volleyball
- boys and girls softball
- girls field hockey
- boys and girls badminton
- boys and girls cross country
- boys and girls golf
- boys and girls wrestling
The Wall of Fame Cup
A men's and women's volleyball and soccer tournament hosted in October. Each year several notable Colonel Gray alumni athletes are inducted into the Colonel Gray Wall of Fame at a Dinner hosted at the Holland College Culinary Center.
The Colonel Gray Classic
A Women's basketball tournament hosted in early December by Colonel Gray High which draws schools competing from across the Maritime provinces.
The Gray Cup
A Men's basketball tournament hosted in early December by Colonel Gray High which draws schools competing from across the Maritime provinces.
- Major League Dodgeball Association (run by the Student Council)
- Colonel Gray Ball Hockey Association (run by the Student Council)
Clubs and Organizations at Colonel Gray
- Student Council
- Dance Committee
- Yearbook Committee
- Gray Entertainment Television
- Free the Children
- Breakfast Club
- Mosaic Club (a multicultural organization)
- Chess Club
- Drama Club
- Confederation Center Homework Club
- KEY Club
- Political Science Club
- Prom Committee
- Safe Grad
- Terry Fox Run Committee
- Thirty Hour Famine
- Jesus at Gray
- Gay-Straight Alliance
- Archery Club
- Robert Ghiz, current Premier of Prince Edward Island
- Martha MacIsaac, Canadian actress
- Clifford Lee, current mayor of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
- Bluefield High School (Prince Edward Island)
- Montague Regional High School
- Three Oaks Senior High School
- Charlottetown Rural High School
- "New School Board".
- "About Us". 2007-12-15.
- "The IB at Colonel Gray". Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- "The IB at Colonel Gray".
- "Gray tv". 2007-12-15.