Colonel James Jabara Airport
|Colonel James Jabara Airport|
|IATA: none – ICAO: KAAO – FAA LID: AAO|
|Owner||Wichita Airport Authority|
|Elevation AMSL||1,421 ft / 433 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Colonel James Jabara Airport (ICAO: KAAO, FAA LID: AAO) is a public airport located nine miles (14 km) northeast of the central business district of Wichita, a city in Sedgwick County, Kansas, United States. It is named in honor of World War II and Korean War flying ace James Jabara, an American of Lebanese descent who has the distinction of being the first American jet ace.
Although most U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, Colonel James Jabara Airport is assigned AAO by the FAA but has no designation from the IATA (which assigned AAO to Anaco, Venezuela). The airport's ICAO identifier is KAAO.  
Facilities and aircraft
- Runway 18/36: 6,101 x 100 ft (1,860 x 30 m), Surface: Concrete
- Helipad H1: 50 x 50 ft (15 x 15 m), Surface: Concrete
For 12-month period ending May 31, 2006, the airport had 38,300 aircraft operations, an average of 104 per day: 97% general aviation and 3% air taxi. There are 108 aircraft based at this airport: 60% single engine, 28% multi-engine, 9% jet aircraft, 1% helicopters, 1% ultralights and 1% military.
On November 20th, 2013 at approximately 9:30 pm CST, a Boeing 747-400 Dreamlifter with registration N780BA and operated by Atlas Air, mistakenly landed at the Colonel James Jabara Airport. The large cargo plane was supposed to land at McConnell Air Force Base, taxi over to nearby Spirit AeroSystems to pick up some fuselage parts for the assembly of Boeing 787 Dreamliners in Seattle, Washington. The plane successfully took off at 1:15 pm CST on November 21 and landed at nearby McConnell AFB. The NTSB opened an investigation about the wrong landing.
Other airports in the Wichita metro area:
- Wichita Mid-Continent Airport
- Beech Factory Airport
- Cessna Aircraft Field
- McConnell Air Force Base
- Augusta Municipal Airport
- FAA Airport Master Record for AAO ( PDF), retrieved 2007-03-15
- Great Circle Mapper: KAAO - Wichita, Kansas (Colonel James Jabara Airport)
- Great Circle Mapper: AAO / SVAN - Anaco, Venezuela
- Dreamlifter pilot talked to McConnell tower before landing at Jabara; The Wichita Eagle; November 21, 2013.
- Video about Dreamlifter Landing At Jabara; The Wichita Eagle; November 21, 2013.
- Audio of Dreamlifter crew in contract with McConnell AFB; The Wichita Eagle.
- Wichitans come out as Dreamlifter takes off from Jabara; The Wichita Eagle; November 21, 2013.
- NTSB opens investigation into Dreamlifter's wrong landing; The Wichita Eagle; November 22, 2013.
- Resources for this airport: