Colonial High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)|
|Colonial High School|
|Type||Public magnet school/ Public High School|
|School district||Orange County Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Barbara Jenkins|
|Principal||Dr. Jon Prince|
|Number of students||3,500+|
|Color(s)||Red and Black|
Colonial High School is a high school located in Orlando, Florida. As of August 2008 the school serves over 3,500 students in grades 9 through 12, making it one of the largest schools in Florida. From 1999-2002, the school received a large ($49 Million) facelift. The graduating class of 2003 was the first class to have graduated from the new campus; however the commencement took place in the then-called TD Waterhouse Arena (now the Amway Arena). In 2008, they celebrated in their 50th anniversary. The class of 2009 was their 50th graduating class. The school's principal is Dr. Jon Prince. During the 2013-2014 school year, Colonial High had the largest gains in writing in the State compared to other comprehensive high schools. Colonial High School had a very successful academic year in 2013-2014, improving in every measure on the State Accountability System and scoring a "B" on the State grading formula. Colonial High School has a large Hispanic population, at 65%, 21% White, 10% Black, 3% Asian, and 1% multicultural.
The school's athletic teams are known as the Grenadiers.
Colonial High School hosts many extracurricular clubs, among which are chapters of the National Beta Club, National Honor Society, and National FFA Organization. Other organizations include Student Government, Choir, Band, the FIRST robotics team, 945 or "Team Banana", and The National Hispanic Society, that is committed to have a positive impact in the communities of the Orlando Area.
Ninth Grade Center
The Ninth Grade Center was established as part of an effort to the crowding at Colonial High School's main campus. In 2006, the campus finished a renovation process, complete with new classrooms, offices, basketball courts, lockers, a gymnasium and a cafeteria. The students can also take a bus over to main campus after school for sports, drama, and other extra curricular activities. The gym was dedicated to Robert C. Allen, Jr., the [Assistant] Principal of the Center for many years.
WCHS News is the name for Colonial High School morning announcements. Morning announcements are produced every morning during first/second period. In recent months, WCHS News has gone under a major transformation involving changes to the studio news set, graphics and newscast pace.
Student Government Association
Colonial High School's Student Government Association (SGA) organizes and overlooks all school events, such as pep rallies, fundraisers, dances, and community service. They have held positions in the district, state, and national offices.
- Delta Burke (1974), film and television actress
- Steve Christmas (1976), Former professional baseball player (Cincinnati Reds, Chicago White Sox, Chicago Cubs)
- Dot Richardson (1979), 1996 Olympic Gold Medalist, Softball, Executive Director and Medical Director of the National Training Center.
- Mike Metcalfe (1991), Former professional baseball player (Los Angeles Dodgers)
- Joel Piñeiro (1996), Former MLB Pitcher, plays for minor league
- Kevin Elliott (2007), former NFL Wide Receiver (Buffalo Bills)
- "Robotics Team 945". Teachers.ocps.net. Retrieved 2013-01-11.
- Hays, Chris (2012-09-03). "Kevin Elliott celebrates after tough journey to making Jaguars roster - Orlando Sentinel". Articles.orlandosentinel.com. Retrieved 2013-01-11.