|Location||Colonie, New York|
|Opening date||November 1, 1966|
|Developer||Homart Development Company|
|Owner||KKR & Co. L.P.
|No. of stores and services||120|
|No. of anchor tenants||5|
|Total retail floor area||1,300,000 sq ft (120,000 m2)|
|No. of floors||2 (main mall), Macy's has 3 floors, and a third-floor movie theater opened in May 2008.|
Colonie Center is a shopping mall located in Colonie, just outside Albany, at the intersection of Central Avenue, Wolf Road, and Interstate 87. Opening in 1966, it was the first enclosed shopping mall in New York's Capital Region. The mall has successfully updated its tenant mix, image, and look on an ongoing basis to keep up with the times, as can be seen from the list of stores on the mall's website. The two-story mall has an area of about 1,300,000 square feet (120,000 m2) and contains approximately 120 stores as well as a food court. Colonie Center was owned by Feldman Mall Properties until 2009, when it was sold to Heitman Value Partners. In April 2013, Heitman sold the mall to KKR & Co. L.P., partnered with Colonie Pacific.
While the mall found itself in danger of possibly becoming a dead mall in the 1990s after the opening of rival mall Crossgates and then its expansion in 1994, vacant space never reached critical levels. However, the opening of Boscov's and Christmas Tree Shops in 1998 rejuvenated the mall, and the 2007 redesign increased traffic even further to the point where it rivals Crossgates Mall.
According to a local newspaper article, at the time the 2007 expansion was announced, the mall was at 73% occupancy. Since the expansion, occupancy has generally continued to increase.
- Macy's (opened 1991; 300,000 sq ft)
- Sears (opened 1966; 246,000 sq ft (22,900 m2))
- Boscov's (opened 1998; 228,000 sq ft (21,200 m2))
- Christmas Tree Shops (opened 1998)
- L.L.Bean (opened 2007; 30,000 sq ft (2,800 m2))
- Barnes & Noble (opened 2007; 34,000 sq ft (3,200 m2))eo
- Whole Foods Market (opens 2013 or 2014, 32,000 sq ft (3,000 m2) within Sears)
- Flah's (Later became Herman's World of Sporting Goods)
- Herman's World of Sporting Goods (now Christmas Tree Shops)
- Macy's (Opened 1966, replaced 1990s; 180,000 sq ft (17,000 m2).)
- Steinbach - (opened 1992, closed August 1995, now Boscov's; originally 80,000 sq ft)
- "Grand Opening Set For Colonie Center". Schenectady Gazette. October 31, 1966. Retrieved March 11, 2010.
- "Feldman sells stake in Colonie Center for $4.1M". June 4, 2009.
- DeMasi, Michael (April 9, 2013). "Colonie Center sold to KKR global real estate investment firm". Albany Business Review. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- Chamber Feature Article
- Moore, Deborah (November 9, 1998). "Mohawk Mall may be razed in favor of open-air plaza".
- "L.L. Bean to open at Colonie Center Sept. 14". September 6, 2007.
- D'Errico, Richard (3 May 2012). "Whole Foods opening first Albany area store in Colonie Center". The Business Review. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Colonie Center.|