Columbia Law Review
|Columbia Law Review|
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Columbia Law Rev.|
|Edited by||Krystina L. Ho|
Columbia Law School (United States)
The Columbia Law Review (Bluebook abbreviation: Colum. L. Rev.) is a law review edited and published by students at Columbia Law School. The journal publishes scholarly articles, essays, and student notes.
It was established in 1901 by Joseph E. Corrigan and John M. Woolsey, who served as the review's first editor-in-chief and secretary. The Columbia Law Review is one of four law reviews that publishes the Bluebook.
The Columbia Law Review ranked second for submissions and citations within the legal academic community, after the Harvard Law Review. According to the Journal Citation Reports it has a 2009 impact factor of 3.610, ranking it third out of 116 journals in the category "Law".
Alumni of the Columbia Law Review include United States Supreme Court Justices William O. Douglas and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit Wilfred Feinberg, United States Solicitor General Donald Verrilli Jr.; Chairwoman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, Mary Jo White; U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Preet Bharara; Chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and Director of the National Economic Council, Stephen Friedman (PFIAB); Columbia Law School professor Herbert Wechsler, Yale Law School professors Felix S. Cohen and Geoffrey C. Hazard, Jr., New York University Law School professor Samuel Estreicher, Michigan Law School professor Mark D. West, former New York Governor George Pataki, two-time SEC General Counsel David M. Becker, and NBA Commissioner David Stern, among others.
- Cohen, Felix S. (1935). "Transcendental Nonsense and the Functional Approach". Columbia Law Review 35 (6): 809–849. doi:10.2307/1116300. JSTOR 1116300.
- Fuller, Lon L. (1941). "Consideration and Form". Columbia Law Review 41 (5): 799–824. doi:10.2307/1117840. JSTOR 1117840.
- Frankfurter, Felix (1947). "Some Reflections on the Reading of Statutes". Columbia Law Review 47 (4): 527–546. doi:10.2307/1118049. JSTOR 1118049.
- Hart, Henry M. (1954). "The Relations Between State and Federal Law". Columbia Law Review 54 (4): 489–542. doi:10.2307/1119546. JSTOR 1119546.
- Wechsler, Herbert (1954). "The Political Safeguards of Federalism: The Role of the States in the Composition and Selection of the National Government". Columbia Law Review 54 (4): 543–560. doi:10.2307/1119547. JSTOR 1119547.