||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (June 2013)|
|Founded||1905 in Ybor City, Tampa, Florida|
|Number of locations||6|
|Area served||central Florida|
|Key people||Casey & Richard Gonzmart|
|Products||Spanish Food, Wine & Entertainment|
|Revenue||$42M (1991-last published)|
|Parent||Columbia Restaurant Group|
The original Columbia Restaurant, located in the historic Ybor City neighborhood in Tampa, Florida, is the oldest continuously operated restaurant in Florida, the oldest Spanish restaurant in the United States and one of the largest Spanish restaurants in the world with 1,700 seats in 15 dining rooms taking up 52,000 ft² over an entire city block. Founded in 1905 in, the landmark is still owned by the Hernandez/Gonzmart family and serves Spanish and Cuban cuisine.
In June 2009, the Columbia Restaurant was selected as one of the 25 iconic restaurants of the Tampa-St.Petersburg area by Laura Reily, the food critic of the St. Petersburg Times. Also Nation's Restaurant News named it a "Top 50 All-American icon."
The restaurant's wine list contains 750 varieties, and Columbia has won several awards for their Spanish wines. They feature several private label wines that were created to honor the memory of family members, and the popular house Sangria is mixed tableside.
The restaurant features performances of flamenco, one of Spain's traditional dances, consists of rhythmic steps performed on a hardwood floor, and originated with Spanish Gypsies. It has evolved through the years to the more structured form we have become familiar with. Classical Spanish dances consist of ballet moves in colorful Spanish costumes accompanied by the sound of castanets.
Over 90 nonprofit organizations received more than $122,000 from the Columbia Restaurant’s 11th Annual Community Harvest campaign, held annually in the month of September. The chain donates 5% of all guests’ lunch and dinner checks and allows patrons to designate the charitable organizations their choice. Over the past 10 years, the event has generated more than $820,000 to nonprofits throughout Florida.
Cesar Gonzmart Memorial Golf Tournament
The CGMGT was begun in 1998 by Columbia Restaurant owners Richard and Casey Gonzmart in memory of their father. Proceeds from the event are donated to a local charity or non-profit organization.
- The 7th Annual CGMGT and the Sant 'Yago Education Foundation gave $5,000 to support the American Heart Association's American Heart Heroes Week project, an initiative that provides camp experiences for children with cardiovascular disease.
- The 8th Annual CGMGT raised over $55,000 for Moffitt Cancer & Research Institute, the University of South Florida Athletic Association, and the Adela & Cesar Gonzmart Endowed Memorial Scholarship, part of the USF Latino Scholarship Program.
- The 13th Annual CGMGT raised over $50,000 for the University of South Florida in Tampa. The University of South Florida Athletic Association and the Columbia Restaurant Centenario Endowed Scholarship, part of the USF Latino Scholarship Program.
On a Sunday in mid-September every year since the restaurant's 75th anniversary in 1980, they celebrate 1905 Day. On that day, a special menu with 1905 prices is in effect from noon to 7:00pm. Menu items have included:
- Chicken & Yellow Rice "Ybor", Boliche (eye round of beef) or Merluza "Russian Style" for $2.95
- Columbia's Original "1905 Salad" for $1.95
- Sangria for 95¢ & coffee for 5¢
- Dessert Flan for 50¢
According to Richard Gonzmart, President of the Columbia Restaurant Group, "1905 Day is our way of thanking all of our customers who have contributed to the success of the Columbia for over 100 years and five generations of ownership. We are convinced that we would not be celebrating our 102nd anniversary without the support of the communities we serve."
- State: State senators praise Columbia Restaurant's 100 years
- Florida Heritage website: Great Floridians 2000 Program-Cesar Gonzmart
- Tampa's Spanish Restaurant
- These favorite Tampa Bay restaurants have been around over 25 years - Tampa Bay Times
- Wine Spectator Online: Columbia Restaurant, Tampa Florida
- Wine Enthusiast Magazine: America’s Best Wine-Driven Restaurants of 2007-Columbia Restaurant
- Tampa Bay Business Journal: October 10, 2007-Restaurant chain cooks up donations by Larry Halstead
- Nation's Restaurant News: October 1, 2001-Columbia Restaurant helps boost Heart Heroes Week
- Tampa Chamber of Commerce/Inside View: Setptmeber/October 2003-The Cesar Gonzmart 8th Annual Memorial Golf Tournament
- "Press Release" Celebration Town Center, June 18, 2007