Come On (How I Met Your Mother)
|How I Met Your Mother episode|
|Episode no.||Season 1
|Directed by||Pamela Fryman|
|Written by||Carter Bays and Craig Thomas|
|Original air date||May 15, 2006|
|Season 1 episodes|
Ted, having given up his previous date with his supposedly perfect match, has decided to pursue Robin yet again. Barney (acting on behalf of the Universe) slaps Ted, telling him it's a bad idea. Ted tells them that he will try only one more time, and if it does not work out, he will accept that it is not meant to be. He then surprises her in her apartment with candy, flowers, and a group of musicians with blue instruments (in reference to the Blue French horn he stole for her on their first date). Robin, while surprised, cannot give Ted a definite answer, especially after he learned that Robin's company camping trip is back on and Sandy Rivers is trying to date her now that he is moving on to CNN. Ted finally accuses Robin of ignoring her true feelings and urges her to "touch the ground", but it fails to win her over. Ted walks out frustrated, but breaks his promise by trying to get Robin again by doing a rain dance. After he convinces Penelope (a girl Barney hooked up with twice) to help him (as she has a Ph.D. in Native American studies), Ted tries to do a rain dance, which ultimately proves successful, and he then goes over to Robin's. Ted yells up to her from the street, telling her to come down (alluding to his previous demands for her to "touch the ground"), and the two finally become a couple.
While Ted is finally finding success, Marshall is encountering the opposite. After having learned about Lily's acceptance into an art fellowship in San Francisco, he begins to worry that their relationship is in danger. Marshall and Lily argue almost non-stop as to what will happen and Lily reveals that, despite having promised herself she would not go, she actually wants to, even though the wedding is only weeks away. Due to the length of their arguments, Marshall and Lily have developed a "pause function", allowing them to temporarily drop the argument to do something else. As the argument reaches a head, Lily tries to pause the argument but Marshall refuses, which leads to the two having sex.
As Ted heads back in a cab from Robin's apartment, Future Ted tells his kids that although New York looked the same, in one night everything had changed. Ted's high spirits quickly dampen when he finds Marshall sitting on the steps of the apartment complex in the rain, with Lily having gone to San Francisco and called off the engagement. Ted comforts him, knowing that Marshall has lost the only girl he had ever loved.
- Robin says she wanted to watch Jeopardy when she came home.
- Ted jokes to Penelope that he is going to get brain surgery from a guy who's seen some episodes of ER.
- This episode was originally titled "Rainy Dance".
- Guest stars Alexis Denisof and Amy Acker previously worked together (and with Alyson Hannigan) on Angel.
- Alexis Denisof is also Alyson Hannigan's husband.
- This was the last episode until the sixth season episode "Last Words" to open with the title sequence. From season 2 onwards, each episode begins with a cold open before the titles.
- "Pilot". How I Met Your Mother. Season 1. Episode 1. 2005-09-19. CBS.
- Gelman, Vlada (December 26, 2013). "Farewell, How I Met Your Mother: The Sitcom's Top 10 Most Memorable Song Moments". TVLine.com. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- William S. Paley (2006-03-26). "Alyson Hannigan - "How I Met Your Mother" Sitcom". TV Fest.
- Maureen Ryan (April 27, 2006). "A cool new show: 'How I Met Your Buffy'". Chicago Tribune. "we're also huge fans of 'Angel.' So when I showed up to the table read of the finale, with Alexis and Alyson and Amy, the 'Buffy'/'Angel' nerd in me just freaked out. I had to try to contain it so I didn't seem to dorky in front of the entire room. I had to excuse myself and do a little dance."