|Traded as||NYSE: TSQ|
|Key people||Steven Price (Chairman/CEO)
Stuart Rosenstein (executive vice president/CFO)
|Services||Digital media, radio|
|Owner(s)||Oaktree Capital Management|
The company began primarily in radio: As of August 13, 2010[update], after it acquired sister companies Gap Broadcasting and GapWest Broadcasting, it owned 171 radio stations in 36 radio markets, with concentration in the Northeast, Midwest, Southwest, and Mountain states. It later expanded into digital publishing and marketing, with the acquisition of the MOG Music Network, and a group of former AOL Music blogs.
Regent Communications (former Pink Sheets ticker symbol RGCI) was founded in 1996 by Terry Jacobs and Bill Stakelin. Jacobs later since retired from the company and Stakelin became its CEO.
On October 27, 2008 Regent Broadcasting joined Radiolicious and began streaming on the iPhone and iPod Touch. Regent is the first major radio group to contract for all of its streaming stations to be available through the Radiolicious application.
Regent filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy on March 1, 2010, with $211.3 million in debt, $166.5 million in assets, and a pre-arranged plan for exiting bankruptcy, with the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware. The filing plan made Oaktree Capital Management the majority owner of Regent after the bankruptcy and gave the old shareholders 12.8 cents per share. After its privatization, the company was given its new name, Townsquare Media. Gap Broadcasting Group, another radio group owned by Oaktree, was merged into Townsquare, giving it ownership of 171 radio stations in 36 markets.
On April 30, 2012 Townsquare Media announced a deal to acquire 55 stations in 11 markets from Cumulus Media, in exchange for Townsquare's stations in the markets of Bloomington and Peoria, IL and $126 million in cash.
On August 24, 2012, Townsquare reached a deal to acquire the MOG Music Network, an advertising network for music blogs, from MOG, a streaming music service that had reached a deal to be acquired by Beats Electronics.
In June 2013, Townsquare announced it would acquire a number of websites from AOL, including the music blogs The Boombox, The Boot, and Noisecreep, along with the comic book news site Comics Alliance. The deal came following the abrupt shutdown of the AOL Music division in April 2013.
On August 29, 2013, it was announced that Cumulus would purchase Dial Global, after the network service was showing signs of financial distress in late 2012. Cumulus will be paying $260 Million in cash for this programming syndication service, part of which will be used to pay off Dial’s debt before it is folded into Cumulus Media Networks. To make that sale happen, Cumulus will once again make a pair of station deals with Townsquare Media: the first deal will send 53 stations in Danbury, CT, Rockford, IL, Cedar Rapids, IA, Quad Cities IA/IL, Waterloo, IA, Portland, ME, Battle Creek, MI, Kalamazoo, MI, Lansing, MI, Faribault, MN, Rochester, MN, and Portsmouth, NH to Townsquare for $238 Million. The second will send 15 more stations in Dubuque, IA and Poughkeepsie, NY stations in exchange for Peak Broadcasting’s Fresno cluster. While not mentioned by the Journal, Peak, which like Dial Global and Townsquare has a large investment held by Oaktree Capital Management will have its Boise cluster folded into Townsquare as well. Townsquare, however, will have to place three of its newly acquired stations in a divestiture trust due to market overlaps. The acquisition of the Cumulus stations closed on November 14, 2013.
On June 24, 2014, Townsquare Media filed for an IPO on the New York Stock Exchange, valued at $143.8 million. On July 24th, 2014, Townsquare Media became a public company with an initial offering price of $11.00 a share.
List of stations
||This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Outdated, needs to be a table. (February 2014)|
790 WTSK Gospel The Truth 790 WTSK
92.9 WTUG Urban Adult Contemporary WTUG 92.9 Today's R&B
95.3 WFFN Country 95.3 The Bear
99.1 WDGM Sports 99.1 The Tide
101.7 WBEI Hot Adult Contemporary B101.7
790 KOSY Gospel Rejoice 790 KOSY
93.3 KMJI Adult Contemporary Mix 93.3
95.9 KPWW Mainstream Top 40 Power 95.9
102.5 KKYR Country Kicker 102.5
106.3 KYGL Classic Rock Eagle 106.3
940 WINE Sports
1510 WPUT Sports
95.1 WRKI Mainstream Rock
105.5 WDBY Country
580 KIDO News/Talk News/Talk 580 KIDO
630 KFXD Sports/Talk 630 The Fan
103.5 KSAS CHR/Top 40 103.5 Kiss FM
104.3 KAWO Country 104.3 Wow Country
106.3 KCIX Hot Adult Contemporary Mix 106
107.9 KXLT Adult Contemporary 107.9 Lite FM
1440 WROK News/Talk
96.7 WKGL-FM Classic Rock 96.7 The Eagle
97.5 WZOK CHR 97 ZOK
98.5 WXXQ Country Q98.5
1170 KBOB Sports ESPN 1170
93.5 KJOC Sports ESPN 93.5
96.9 WXLP Classic Hits 97X
99.7 KBEA-FM Mainstream CHR B100
104.9 KQCS Country 104.9 The Hawk
94.1 KRNA Mainstream Rock 94.1 KRNA
98.1 KHAK Country 98.1 KHAK
107.1 KRQN CHR/Top 40 i107-1
1490 WDBQ News/Talk 1490 WDBQ News/Talk
102.3 KXGE Mainstream Rock Eagle 102
103.3 WJOD Country Today's Country 103 WJOD
105.3 KLYV CHR/Top 40 Y105
107.5 WDBQ-FM Classic Hits Q107.5
950 KOEL News/Talk
92.3 KKHQ Mainstream CHR Q92.3
97.7 KCRR Classic Rock
98.5 KOEL-FM Country K98.5
94.3 WCYY Modern Rock
94.9 WHOM Adult Contemporary
97.9 WJBQ CHR/Top 40
102.9 WBLM Classic Rock
930 WTOU Sports/Talk 930 The Score
95.3 WBCK News/Talk 95.3 WBCK
104.9 WBXX Adult Contemporary Mix 104.9
1360 WKMI Conservative Talk WKMI Talk Radio 1360
102.5 W273AR Country Great Country 102.5
103.3 WKFR-FM CHR/Top 40 103.3 WKFR
107.7 WRKR Classic Rock 107.7 WRKR
730 WVFN Sports/Talk 730 The Game
1240 WJIM News/Talk 1240 WJIM
94.9 WMMQ Classic Rock Classic Rock 94.9 WMMQ
97.5 WJIM-FM CHR/Top 40 97.5 Now FM
99.1 WFMK Adult Contemporary 99.1 WFMK
100.7 WITL-FM Country 100.7 WITL
920 KDHL Classic Country
1390 KRFO Oldies
95.9 KQCL Classic Rock
104.9 KRFO-FM Country
1060 KFIL Country
1340 KROC News/Talk
1520 KOLM Sports
96.5 KWWK Country
103.1 KFIL-FM Country
103.9 KDCZ Active Rock
105.3 KYBA Adult Contemporary
106.9 KROC-FM Top 40/CHR
107.7 KDZZ Active Rock
97.5 WOKQ Country
102.1 WSAK Classic Hits
103.7 WPKQ Country
105.3 WSHK Classic Hits
(Toms River, New Jersey/New Jersey, Toms River))
1340 WALL Oldies
1390 WEOK Oldies
1490 WKNY Adult Contemporary
92.7 WRRV Modern Rock
94.3 WKXP Country
96.9 WRRB Alternative Rock
97.3 WZAD Country
97.7 WCZX Hot Adult Contemporary
101.5 WPDH Album-Oriented Rock
106.1 WPDA Album-Oriented Rock
96.9 KXSS CHR/Top40 96.9 Kiss-FM
92.9 KNIN CHR/Top 40 92.9 NIN
102.3 KWFS Country 102.3 Blake-FM
1290 KWFS News/Talk/Sports News Talk 1290
106.3 KBZS Rock 106.3 The Buzz
- "Townsquare Media Acquires GAP Radio Broadcasting" (Press release). Greenwich, Connecticut: Townsquare Media. 2010-08-13. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- "Business Announcements for the week of 5/9-5/15/2010". El Paso Inc. (El Paso, Texas). Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- "Regent Communications Announces Agreement With Radiolicious" (Press release). Cincinnati, Ohio: Regent Communications, Inc. PRNewswire. 2008-11-12.
- Nadgir, Santosh (2010-03-01). "Radio broadcaster Regent Communications files Ch. 11 (Update 3)". Bangalore. Reuters. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "Regent Communications, just out of Chapter 11, becomes "Townsquare Media", changes CEO & CFO". Radio-Info.com. 2010-05-03.
- "Townsquare Media Bolsters Management Team and Re-Launches Over 30 Digital Properties" (Press release). Greenwich, Connecticut: Townsquare Media. 2010-12-13.[dead link]
- "Townsquare Media Buying Ten Oneonta-Area Stations". CNYRadio.com. 2011-08-08. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- [dead link]
- "The Music Radio Trade Publication". RadioInfo. Retrieved 2012-11-19.
- "Remaining half of Mog Music Network sells to Townsquare Media Group". MusicWeek. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Townsquare Acquires Various AOL Music Sites, Comics Alliance". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- Cumulus Makes Dial Global And Townsquare Deals Official - Radio Insight (released August 30, 2013)
- "Townsquare Media files for IPO of up to $144 million". Reuters. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- "Oaktree-backed Townsquare Media, the third largest radio station operator, files for a $144 million IPO". NASDAQ.com. Retrieved 27 June 2014.
- Townsquare Media — official site
- Taste of Country — country music news site owned by Townsquare
- Ultimate Classic Rock — classic rock news site owned by Townsquare