Comilla Zilla School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)|
|Comilla Zilla school
কুমিল্লা জিলা স্কুল
|Number of students||2000+|
|Sports||cricket , football ,hockey , handball etc|
Comilla Zilla School (Bengali: কুমিল্লা জিলা স্কুল) is a boy's school in Comilla, a city in Bangladesh. It is one of the oldest schools in the country. It was the only school in Comilla for four decades before the establishment of Nawab Fayjunnesa Girl's High School in 1878. For decades the school has secured first place in scoring highest A+ among the schools under Board of secondary education, Comilla.
The school, in the center of Comilla, was established in 1837 by an Englishman named H. G. Legister. It was governmentalized as a high school by the government of British India for teaching English literature and science and named Comilla Zilla School. In the 1850s the school building expanded and improved its teaching structure.
These school has three academic buildings, an administrative building and two hostels. There is a big field in the school arena. Other facilities include mosque, workshop, auditorium, canteen, shaheed minar, and library. There are fifty teachers and twenty staff. The school has five laboratories. It is one of the best school in Bangladesh.
Initially the school conducted only one shift. From 1991 two shifts were introduced: morning and day. Presently all the classes from 5 to 10 are running. There are six sections in each of the classes: ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’, and ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’ for class five to eight where ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’ are in morning shift and day shift. There are two sections in nine and ten; they are 'A' and 'B'.
There are 60 students in each of the sections. For class nine and ten students are distributed into four sections following the same structure with a larger number of students in a class. Almost 2,000 students are studying in the school with 53 teachers.
The uniform is a white shirt with white full trousers and white shoes and black belt. The school monogram is printed on the shirt pocket.
Usually students are admitted in class 5 and 6. Admission can be considered in other classes if a vacancy is available or if someone is transferred from some other government school. The admission test is usually taken in the first week of January.
- Comilla Zilla School cricket team was champion in the National Nirman School Tournament in 1992.
- BNCC (Bangladesh National Cadet Core)
- Games and sports (mostly athletics, cricket, Badminton, swimming and football)
- Cultural activities: each year the students celebrate the Shorossoti Puja on the school field.
- Math and language competitions: the school is the champion team of the national maths contest.
- Science fair, held each year.
- Social Development
- Participate in Bangladesh Mathematical Olympiad every year
- Dhirendranath Datta: Bengali lawyer who was active in the politics of undivided Bengal in pre-partition India and later in East Pakistan (1947–1971). On February 23, 1948, in the Pakistan Constituent Assembly in Karachi, Dhirendranath, as a member of Pakistan National Congress, made a speech calling for Bengali to be made one of the official languages of Pakistan. He served as the Minister of Health and Social Welfare (East Pakistan) in Ataur Rahman Khan's cabinet (1956–58).
- Shib Narayan Das: He designed the first national flag of Bangladesh.
- Muhammad Anwar Hossain, 2nd Lt. (1-E Bengal): He was the first Shaheed defense officer during Bangladesh Liberation War. Later awarded as Bir Uttom by Bangladesh Government.
- Nayeemul Islam Khan: A leading Bengali-language newspaper editor.
- General Iqbal Karim Bhuiyan,Chief of Army Staff,Bangladesh Army.
Comilla Zilla School always thinks one step ahead for assuring the highest learning facility for its students.On that note,in the year 2010,Comilla Zilla School joined Connection classroom programme based on an enterprise for establishing an interrelationship among the students of some national and international schools of home and abroad(British school).Through the E-LEARNING system the students of zilla school get linked to that process under the kind observation of BRITISH COUNCIL.In Comilla 4 schools participated in that programme but like all the time zilla school was the "SHOW STEALER".With the help of some experienced teachers,students represented the culture,archeology,tradidition of Comilla by their rejuvenate presentation.At the same time,the students also rocked the cultural show of SHHEED ABU JAHEED AUDITORIUM. For that programme,students were selected from different classes who made presentation on different topics related to the city Comilla. Students of CZS showed their both technical and meritorial skill. A cultural function was organised by the authority to add a new dimension to this programme.That programme was a join venture of two rival schools COMILLA ZILLA SCHOOL and NAWAB FAIZUNNESA GOVT. GIRLS' SCHOOL.Whole programme was anchored by the students from both institution.Audience were amazed to enjoy that types of function for the first time at the present of two different schools. Principals from three different schools of BRITAIN were the chief guests. And the honorable Headmaster along with two asst.Headmaster were the special guests.And all the teachers from both day and morning shifts were present at that function. The whole programme was a little contribution to establish a friendship among the students of two different country. Actually, it's a part of modern globalisation process by which students from every corner can have the same view and same knowledge. And as a part of that motto, the programme of Connection classroom was a huge success.